Saturday, October 18, 2008

Getting Motivated for NaNoWriMo

In preparing for NaNoWriMo, I’ve been busy trying to finish up a lot of loose ends. First, a Halloween tale inspired by the photo of a crystal ball and its description in a catalog. (I love those kind of ideas that pop up from an unexpected place.) Next, revisions on a story I’d submitted to The Wild Rose Press. As painful as revising can be, it always strengthens the story.
In the next few weeks, I’ll be researching for the story I plan to write – an historical romance. Although I won’t begin any writing of the actual story until November 1, I’m going to prepare a rough outline of where I’d like it to go. So it can be within the correct context, I need to learn as much as I can about mannerisms and customs of life in the 1800s. And what it was like on a tall ship (no, it’s not another pirate story – it’s much more exciting!).
I ran across a site named as one of Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers for 2006, 2007 and 2008. If I thought NaNoWriMo was daunting, the premise of this site is four times worse: to write a Book In A Week. Its motto is BIC HOK TAM: butt in chair, hands on keyboard, typing away madly. I can only imagine. The description says that while the group’s main purpose is to write, authors can also exchange writing-related information online. The other difference is that, while NaNoWriMo’s donations are voluntary, Book In A Week requires new members to pony up a three-dollar “donation” through PenPal.
So, if you’re looking to get motivated, shoot for 50k through NaNoWriMo. If you need more pressure to produce, check out Book In A Week. If you’re feeling especially manic, try their Mad 10,000 Challenge, a group aiming for 10,000 words in five hours.
Happy writing!