Sunday, January 18, 2009

Blogging a novel?

The New Yorker today posted an article, “I Heart Novels” that completely surprised me. I’d never heard of cell phone novels, but apparently in Japan, the genre has existed for awhile. Long enough for four cell phone novels to be listed as top literary bestsellers. In 2007, nonetheless, so I guess I’m way behind the curve.
In a previous post, I doubted whether blogs could be called books. Now I’m wondering, and would like to know your thoughts on the subject. Specifically, would you be interested in reading a story posted in a series of blogs? (I don’t have enough cell phone minutes to accommodate my inept texting skills.) Seriously – please leave a comment. Your response will help me determine whether to accept a friend’s proposal to blog a novel. If you’re open to the idea, would you prefer one genre over another? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!