Monday, June 22, 2009

Stop and Smell the Roses Blog Bouquet

It's summertime!
Soon the gardens will be lush with flowers, kids will play past dark catching fireflies, bands will play concerts under the stars, and the smell of cookouts will permeate the air. One of the things I love best about this season is getting together with family and friends.
Here are a few great sayings about friendship:
"The only way to have a friend is to be one." Emerson
"Be true to your word, your work and your friend." Henry David Thoreau
"I wonder if there is anything in this world as beautiful as good, strong friendship." Wilbur D. Nesbit
"There is no better looking glass than friendship." Thomas Fuller
"People who have warm friends are healthier and happier than those who have none. A single real, true friend is a treasure worth more than gold or precious stones." G.D. Prentice
"Friendship is the wine of life." Edward Young
Cheers, Edward!

Reading a great book is like finding new friends, too. Augustine Birrell said, "Friendship is a world the very sight of which in print makes the heart warm."
Well said, Augustine.
Here's to summertime, good friends and great books!

What's your favorite part about summer? Leave a comment for your chance to win an ebook - choose from: Seventh Heaven or The Duende and the Muse.

Be sure to follow the Stop and Smell the Roses Blog Bouquet tour:
You are here:

Have a great summer! Visit again soon! To get you in the mood, here's Bruce Springsteen singing "Girls in their Summer Clothes."


lastnerve said...

On most days during summer, I am loving it because my kids are home. Then some days not so much since they are all teens now. Just the lazy days spent at home are a nice diversion from the hectic lifestyle we live.


Skhye said...

Definitely NOT the 100-degree heat. :( It's going to be a scorcher today and the rest of the week. But I'd much rather wear shorts than pants. The mountains of laundry shrink from spring-fall here in the Houston area...

Donna Michaels said...

Hi Cate,

My favorite part of summer is the warmth. I love it hot or at the very least, comfortable. I'm a flamingo stuck up north like a penquin...hehe

Have a great day!


Mona Risk said...

Hi Cate, I love the way you say 'reading a new book is finding new friends'. How true. I am always sad when I finish a book and have to part with my new friends. In two weeks, my sweet and spicy medical romance, BABIES IN THE BARGAIN, will be released at TWRP. You will find appealing friends in my characters.

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Cate!, Emerson and Thoreau are two of my absolute favorites!

Summer...even though I'm no longer teaching high school American lit, summer still evokes those carefree days of "no more alarmclock, no more gradebooks, no more students' dirty looks" lol. (actually the students were grat.)

Best of luck with your books,
~Tanya, a Cactus Rose

Nicole McCaffrey said...

My favorite part of summer is our relaxed schedules. During the school year, it seems like I'm constantly checking the time. I love staying up late to watch movies with my two boys, or staying outside longer after dinner, enjoying every last drop of daylight.

And on those rare occasions I actually get to my bad early enough.... I still get a kick out of going to bed when it's light out.

Great blog! I loved the friendship quotes!

Erotic Horizon said...

I simply love summer, the kids are out of school and in the park or on their bikes ..

Barbecues and long lazy evening...

Can't wait..


SFWriterMasha said...

This summer is strange: I have no schedule, my oldest child has graduated from HS and is preparing to leave for college, and of course it's HOT in South Texas. But... the pool is open and my other kids has discovered the joys of cooking and has decided it's fun to hang out with Mom.

Something different every year.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy warm summers. Not hot, don't do hot so well....but warm is good.

And it's the right time for a good book all the year round!!


Lauri said...

I love the long, relaxing evenings of summer. Just setting on the deck visiting with friends, families, neighbors, or just me and my hubby!

Cate Masters said...

Hi Val - relaxed summer schedules are great, aren't they? I seem to have more energy with longer days, too.
Skhye, you clearly need to spend a winter in Pennsylvania! This past winter seemed like the longest ever.
Donna, I love the warmth, too. I could go for a nice tropic climate about now.
Mona, congrats on your upcoming release! Sounds great, and I hope to make friends with your characters!
Tanya and Nicole, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the quotes.
Thanks, EH - I love those long hot nights too!
Masha, isn't it nice when your kids grow to appreciate you? How nice, hope you enjoy lots of special time together.
Valerie, I agree, books are great year-round, no matter what the season.
Lauri, relaxing evenings on the deck sound great to me!
Thanks for stopping by, all.

Susan Macatee said...

For me the appeal is being able to leave my windows open, unless it gets too hot, and the long days. It just gives me a feeling of having all the time in the world.

KyAnn said...

I love long days, cool evenings, walks along the river front and the mountain trails.

that was a lovely post

Paty Jager said...

Fun blog, Cate! Good luck with your books!

Ann Whitaker said...

What I love about summer? AIR-CONDITIONING!!!

In Texas, winter is the new summer. Summer is hotter than... than a chili pepper.


I just love summer, the hot days, the cookouts, the farmer markets, the craft shows, and the flea markets. I love everything about the season.

Cate Masters said...

I'm with you, Susan. My windows are open until the dog days!
The long days are great, aren't they, KyAnn? Just the cure for the rainy spring blahs.
Thanks, Paty! Good luck with yours too! Hope Miner in Petticoats is a bestseller!
Hotter than a chili pepper - funny, Ann! My dad would love the Lone Star State then.
Nicely summed up, Loretta - everything about summer appeals to me too. I'm so glad it's finally here!

Babyblue22 said...

Hey Cate,
My favorite part about summer are the pool days!! If I can play by the pool all day!

SiNn said...

i love the smells and the sounds of summer how everything seems brighter and full of color the flowers r full bloom the kids r laughing cook outs hollidays all of it

P.L. Parker said...

Gosh, if we ever get summer in Boise. All its done so far is rain, rain, rain. I had to wear a jacket this weekend cuz it was so cold. I want to be too warm.


Kytaira said...

I love the relaxed schedule. I assign the kids more cleaning chores and we all have more time for fun.

lynda98662 at yahoo dot com

L M Gonzalez said...

My favorite part of summer used to be being out of school for the summer. Now, I wish I had a 3-month vacation from work! LOL


Laurie J. Edwards said...

Loved the friendship quotes! Hope the tour did well. I'm on the next round--I think it's the 29.

Cate Masters said...

You're right, Afshan - pool days are great! Even better, a lazy river. Ahhh.
Yes, SiNn, summer does seem like a long holiday. I never thought of it that way, thanks!
Sorry, PL - wishing you some warmth soon. It's been cold here too except for the past few days.
Kytaira, though my schedule's far from relaxed, summer has a way of making it feel that way, at least.
Lupe, I'm with you - I'd love to have those three months now that I can put them to good use!
Thanks, Laurie - so far, so good!
Keep those comments coming! I'll pick a winner this afternoon.

Cate Masters said...

I've thrown all your names into a bowl, and my daughter selected.... Val (lastnerve). Congrats, Val! I'll email you to see which ebook you'd like.
Thanks again, everyone! Happy summer!