Monday, July 27, 2009

Why I wish I still lived in New Jersey

Besides the main fact I'd be nearer my family, I'd also be nearer to New York City.
And I love NYC.
For one, The New York Times' Times Talk series. Journalists interview authors such as E.L. Doctorow,screenwriter/actor/director Quentin Tarantino (sold out already), and on Oct. 4, a whole host of literary greats, including Nick Hornby, Patricia Cornwell, Nicholas Sparks (hey, say what you will, he's a bestseller again and again) and others.
The Gotham Writers Workshop has so many offerings in NYC too. I've taken a few online classes and woudl recommend them, but nothing compares to a real classroom setting, with live feedback. Many times, Gotham offers free classes.
At some point, I'd love love love to take Robert McKee's Story seminar when it returns to NY (or possibly closer?)
Since I can't get there for awhile, I'll settle for the YouTube snippets below. I'd also recommend any writer - not just screenwriters - buy Robert McKee's Story. An excerpt is available online.