Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome special guest author Kiss Carson!

Cate: Please welcome Kiss Carson. Kiss, will you please share a short bio with us?
Kiss: I live in Queensland, Australia, with my husband and three children. I work part time at the local hospital and write every chance I get. I’ve been writing since a teenager and I’ve always loved reading light paranormal and fantasy. I have two books, Illusions of Destiny and Jewels of the Sun, released through The Wild Rose Press.

Cate: Both intrigue me a great deal. And I love those covers! Tell us about Jewels of the Sun and where it's available.
Kiss: Born on the mysterious island of Ambrosia and whisked away to mainland Australia when only a few days old, Selena Lewis grows up hearing tales of unimaginable treasures and a floating island, trapped in the nineteenth century, which only appear every 25 years.
Now, the island has returned and Selena is determined to prove to the treasure hunting community that the island exists, as does the treasure. Kidnapped and blindfolded, she’s held hostage by virile pirate captain, Saxon Ambrose, who piques her curiosity both sexually and emotionally.
Drawn into the very depths of Ambrosia, Selena finds the Jewels of the Sun, the diamond pillars that allow the island to survive, and the treasure she’s waited all her life to find. However, the Jewels are dying, and so is Ambrosia. Her love for Saxon is the key but is it stronger than her struggle for treasure hunting fame?
In the end, will love conquer all?
Both Jewels of the Sun and Illusions of Destiny are available at The Wild Rose Press print store, or via my website at www.kisscarson.com.au. They are also available on amazon.com and various online bookshops.

Cate: Describe your writing in three words.
Kiss: Three words?? Cate, that’s impossible!! Okay, I’ll give it a go:
(still thinking)
Action packed
Sensual
Optimistic
Phew! That was harder than trying to reduce 85000 words into two paragraphs!

Cate: I knew you could do it! LOL!
Do you have a writing routine?
Kiss: Yes! Every writer should have some sort of routine. With a small family and working, I mainly write at night, Sun-Thur 6.30pm-10pm. I try to keep Fri night and Sat as family time.

Cate: How do you pick the character’s names?
Kiss: I go through a baby name book from front to back. I generally know my characters’ traits, what they look like, their personalities etc and I try to pick a name based on that. I might have several names and I pick the ones that go best together. I also like names that end in A for girls. So far, I’ve got Ianna and Selena and my current works, the heroine’s name is Ella. It’s not something I purposely do. I thought I’d be stuck with boy’s names ending in N (Regan and Saxon) but my newest hero is Luke.

Cate: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Easiest?
Kiss: The most challenging aspect of writing is trying to make a story that people will find interesting. I forever double guess myself and ask myself whether I’d like to read what I’ve written. Most of the time, it’s yes.
The easiest part would be staring at the computer screen wondering where to go, now!

Cate: What’s the most rewarding aspect?
Kiss: Definitely the reviews. Knowing that readers enjoy the places, people and stories that I created gives me a real buzz.

Cate: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Kiss: They follow me everywhere! I’m not kidding. I see someone and I think “Gee, that woman looks like Selena.” Ianna and Regan used to talk to me! I listened to their arguments and watched them walk through the house. It’s scary. hehehe

Cate: Where can you be found on the web?
Kiss: www.kisscarson.com.au and www.kisscarson.blogspot.com

Cate: What's next for you?
Kiss: Well, I’m on the final revisions for In the Shadows of Angels and I plan to submit late September. Then, I’ll work out the paranormal I’m struggling with and submit that in January.

Oo, those sound intriguing too! Best of luck with them - be sure to keep us updated. Thanks for being my guest today, Kiss!