Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Welcome special guest author Lynn Romaine!

Cate: I'm happy to have Lynn Romaine as a guest. Lynn, will you please share a short bio with us?
Lynn: I live in southern Indiana, a university town, and entered the world of fiction writing very late, seven years, at the age of 58. I’ve written three books, had all three published, the most recent with The Wild Rose Press, and I just recontracted my 1st book, Leave No Trace, with TWRP. I have a fantastic daughter, a great family and friends who support me in many ways and just did my 1st book signing with TWRP book at Barnes & Noble. A great success!

Cate: Tell us about Long Run Home and where it's available.
Lynn: Long Run Home was released by The Wild Rose Press 09/18/09. It’s romantic environmental suspense, about a woman who is abandoned by her mother at 11, joins an ecoterrorist group at 18 and goes underground for 12 years, hiding from the FBI. When she finally emerges, she meets a man, has an brief affair and discovers he’s FBI and out to betray her. The book is available at The Wild Rose Press in ebook and print, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Cate: Wow, what an intriguing plot! And so timely. Fantastic cover too!
Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Lynn: Here’s a brief sexy excerpt:
The bedroom was cold, with only faint light seeping in through the single small window. He led her to the bed and stopped beside it, turning to her. The heat from his body pulled her forward; and she leaned into him, her arms encircling his waist. He put his arms around her, one large hand cradling the back of her head.
He bent down and kissed her slowly. She could feel the sharp edges of his lips against hers. Even the shape of them felt sensual. He tasted of coffee, with a tang of smoke about it.
Pulling away from the kiss, she looked up at him in the skimpy light. The smile she gave him was reassuring but his pupils were narrowed.
Her heart pounded. He slid his hands around, palms down, running them slowly down the front of her sweatshirt, skimming lightly over her breasts. He reached about her waist and drew her up against him, letting her feel his erection pressed to her belly.
He bent forward again, this time he kissed her neck. She could feel his tongue flicker over the small dent below her ear. As if on a signal, the game suddenly turned desperate. They were holding each other tightly, her kisses covering his neck, her fingers working at his back, digging into his flesh.
A hand here, another there, as clothes came off. Greedily they tore at clothing until they both stood bare and trembling. The last barrier was his jeans and he pulled them off, leaving her gasping at the feel of him against her.

Cate: Very sexy! What inspired you to write about the theme?
Lynn: I write about women who have to confront impossible circumstances that contradict their entire lives and are forced to redesign themselves and their reality. I was inspired for these themes by losing my older sister suddenly in my teen years and committing myself to young woman living fulfilled lives.

Cate: What a great tribute to your sister.
Any specific inspiration for your characters (an actor/actress or personal hero)?
Lynn: Probably all of Tami Hoag’s recent book characters. Tough women who make it in life on their own terms at the expense of opening their hearts.

Cate: How do you pick the character’s names?
Lynn: The names are the most important part of writing after the book title to me. I can’t write a book until I have the main character names. I search and listen – searching other books, eavesdropping on people around me, and news stories (my recent WIP I got the last name from the news piece on Ingrid Betancourt who was taken hostage for six years in Colombia).

Cate: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Lynn: I revisit my WIP MS every night – where I compose and refine my story in my head. They don’t haunt me – I snoop on them!

Cate: It’s good you can keep them in line! What's next for you?
Lynn: Moving up to best selling author, maybe an agent, maybe not but a wider audience and many more readers!

Cate: At what age did you discover writing and when were you first published? Tell us your call story.
Lynn: As I said above, I never wrote fiction until seven years ago at the age of 58. I wrote my 1st book, Leave No Trace, in four months, signed a contract in one month and the book was published a year later. It all seemed easy and I had no idea how much more work I’d need to put in by my 3rd book to make it a better written book.

Cate: Describe your writing in three words.
Lynn: Gritty, sparse, scenery/mood driven

Cate: Ooh, I love that!
Do you have a writing routine?
Lynn: When I’m in the full-tilt bogie writing mode, at least 1-2 hours a day – I write very fast. But editing can take me a year or more since I do 6-8 edits on my books now.

Cate: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Lynn: Challenging aspect would be keeping on when no one wants a book. Most rewarding is meeting the readers and having them say how much they love a book.

Cate: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Lynn: “I can’t them down!”

Cate: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Lynn: Tami Hoag is #1 with me in contemporary writers – Dark Horse, Alibi Man, Thin Dark Line – her suspense rather than romance books. I aspire to be her! I’m not reading much these days – can’t seem to find anything to read – I think I’m in the midst of shifting genres and finding it hard to pick a genre to read. I believe I have Lisa Jackson sitting on my bookstand.

Cate: What impact do electronic readers create on the bottom line for authors? Or in people/the environment in general?
Lynn: I know electronic books are the wave of the future but I’ve been having my books published in both trade paperback and ebook form for six years and I don’t believe anyone I know has ever read an ebook – or purchased a download of my books (of course, I can’t be sure but no one has ever contacted me who read my book in ebook version).

Cate: Where can you be found on the web?
Lynn: www.lynnromaine.com and my blog www.womenwritersunderground.blogspot.com

Cate: Love your tag line: Empowering young women to lead created lives.
Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Lynn: Tell me what makes a great book.

Cate: Readers, Lynn is giving away a book to a random commenter... so start commenting. She'll pick a winner tomorrow night. Be sure to leave your email address so Lynn can contact you.