Friday, January 29, 2010

New short story contract!

Eternal Press contracted my 10k story, Winning! This is an oldie I've always loved, about a man whose life is turned upside down.

Here's the unofficial story blurb:
Joe doesn’t expect much more from life. His marriage is average, kids are average. So when he wins the lottery -- one of the biggest jackpots of all time -- everything changes. Or does it? Or would they have made the same choices anyway?

My husband and I have discussed this on occasion, namely when the Powerball rockets higher and we debate buying a ticket. While we'd love to be able to spread the wealth around, it comes with an awful lot of baggage. And ever notice how lottery winners seem to be snakebit? But are they really, or are they making the same choices they'd have made anyway, but with a little more money to play with?

So sometimes I buy a lottery ticket, but mostly I don't. When I get a new book contract, though, it feels much better than winning the lottery. I'd much rather hit the jackpot with my writing.

Eternal Press is restructuring after merging with Damnation Books. Contrary to some quippers, they're not changing the name to Eternal Damnation Press. :) They are, however, expanding their line and moving from Canada to the U.S. Exciting stuff.

9 comments:

Trent Kinsey said...

Woohooo Cate!

Congrats and I hope you have many sales. Does sound interesting and I have to admit I too fantisize about what I'd do winning the loto.

Good luck!

Cara Lee said...

The lotto winners who choose the annuity over the cash payout do better with managing their wins. That being said, there can be lot of other things going on in someone's life that become magnified after winning the lottery. Lottery officials should offer financial and other counseling along with the big jackpot wins.

Emma Lai said...

Congrats, Cate! I love to fantasize about winning the lottery, but it always ends up stressing me out when I think of the related hassles. So much for a good fantasy.

Cate Masters said...

Hey Trent! Thanks so much. Guess everyone has that fantasy, but I threw in a touch of magical realism too. :)
Counselors probably have no frame of reference for that, Cara!
I know, Emma - though I'd really love to share it with my family, I don't know if the lifelong hassle would be worth it. I'd rather make millions with my writing. Ha!

Alice Audrey said...

Interesting premise. My mother have talked about stuff like that now and then. Congrats on the contract!

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Alice!

Julia Smith said...

Eternal Damnation Press...LOL!

Congrats on the new sale. And I love the new look to your blog.

Julia Smith said...

Forgot to mention about kd lang - yes, definitely Canadian. I haven't heard her tribute album but you've just reminded me to do that.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks much, Julia!
I thought KD was Canadian, but I couldn't find my Cd to even get the title right!