Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In the Author Spotlight: Lily Oak

Please welcome Lily Oak to the Author Spotlight.
Since the beginning of Lily's Virtual Books Tour, she - and a team of fantastic writers - put together 'Hope Ocean'. Hope Ocean is a mystical, magical, slightly occult anthology, themed around the ocean. This small collection, by a wide variety of writers, was put together in just 7 days. Their aim was to raise money and awareness to aid wildlife charities dealing with the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. It's availible now from www.hedge-witcherybooks.com.

Cate: Please welcome Lily Oak, will you please share a short bio with us?
Lily: "I am currently working on my first full length fiction project and write poetry and articles on paganism and witchcraft for my website, blogs and e-zines. I have recently been nominated for a Paranormal Mixed Media Award."

Cate: Tell us about Hope Moon and where it's available.
Lily: Hope Moon, has been labled a ‘short pagan-esque anthology’ which suits it very well. It was thought of, published and listed for sale in just 3 days in order to raise money for the Haiti Earthquake Appeal.

Cate: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Lily: Well… this is the face book comment that lead to the most manic, sleepless 3 days of my life (and when I say that please bear in mind with my eldest child I was in labour for 3 days!).

Cate: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Lily: The above says it all… the news stories were heart breaking. Whilst watching the news that morning I got the call from my temp. agency saying the position I was meant to start didn’t need me anymore and I wasn’t starting ‘til the next week. I already had childcare in place, and being a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, I figured I was meant to do ‘something’ with that time.

Cate: How do you develop your plots and characters?
Lily: At the minute I’m working on first full length fiction project and the characters are made up from taking different elements and quirks I see in people I know, re-ordering them and giving them a perspective based on their environment. As for the plot it’s a case of coming up with a list of set events that trigger reactions in these characters, the plot sort of developes itself from there.

Cate: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Lily: Definitely! I’m having very in-appropriate thoughts about one of the male characters from the current novel I’m writing, ha ha ha.

Cate: What's next for you?
Lily: Basically keep writing, and enjoying it!

Cate: Any other published works?
Author: I published 2 very short guides on traditional witchcraft, they were basically my initial study notes from when I first started down that path. They have now been retired and been re-written and released as a series of articles.

Cate: Describe your writing in three words.
Lily: Tactile, indulgent and dream-like.

Cate: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Lily: The most challenging is finding the time, I’m a single mum of a 5 year old and a 4 year old, and I work as an office temp through the day and admin the website and blogs, do oracle stone readings and write on an evening. That said the process of writing helps me put the chaos of the day behind me… it’s my me time!

Cate: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Lily: one of the most moving comments I ever got was from Laura, who was actually a contibutor to Hope Moon. On the morning everyone received print copies she left me a comment on face book which read “…thank you for letting us be a part of it” I wanted to gather up everyone who had contributed, give them a big hug and shout “If it wasn’t for you there wouldn’t be an ‘it’”

Cate: Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Lily: I can’t pick one… but if you push me I’d have to say Jean M Auel. At the minute I’m going through me Christine Feehan ‘Dark…’ collection, again!

Cate: Where can you be found on the web?
Lily: All over ha ha ha, my main site is www.hedge-witchery.com, all my contact and social network info. Is on the ‘Keeping in touch’ page. There's also www.hedge-wicherybooks.com which is my new publishing and author promotion venture.

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Lily: I know 5 months have passed, but please keep the people of Haiti in your thoughts… 5 months is a long time in the world of news stories and headlines, but for those living the stories it’s the blink of an eye.

Cate: Readers, Lily is giving away a book to a random commenter... so start commenting. She'll pick a winner on 1st, July. Winner announced in the Summer edition of Incantation e-zine.