Monday, August 30, 2010

In the Author Spotlight: Karen Michelle Nutt

Cate: Please welcome Karen Michelle Nutt. Karen, will you please share a short bio with us?
Karen: I live in California with my husband, three fascinating children, four dogs, three cats and a guinea pig. Jack, my Chihuahua/Yorkshire terrier is such a sweet pooch. He’s my writing buddy and sits long hours with me at the computer.
Time Travels have been a passion of mine. I have always been intrigued with the possibility of being able to reach back in time and change the past. Common sense says influencing the past isn’t impossible, but I can’t help but wonder: What if I can?
Vampires, shape shifters and Fallen Angels embrace my darker side, where their worlds intertwine with ours.

Cate: Tell us about your latest release and where it's available.
Karen: I have a new fallen angels series in the works: Warriors For the Light. All stories will be released in e-book formats and Print. Eli’s story is the first and is available at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B003V4B48O/ref=tag_dpp_cust_edpp_sa
There is a legend passed on from generation to generation among the Fallen. If one of the brethrens finds their true soul mate, they’ll not suffer damnation, but shall find eternal happiness. They are known as the Warriors For the Light.
The humans have a legend, too. A brush of an angel’s wing is a blessing, a binding of their love. Her life will be his and his will be hers, forevermore.

Cate: Sounds incredible. Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Karen: Eli is being tried by the Elders for breaking the rules and forming a relationship with a human. He didn’t go easily and is banged up a bit and his hands are bound.
Eli turned back to face the elders. “If one of the brethren finds their true soul mate, they’ll not suffer damnation, but shall find eternal happiness. We all know the legend and I believe it’s true. I won’t give her up.”
“No?” Chaz turned on him. “You say no. You have no choice. You stay away from the human or we will strike her down, then we’ll deal with you.”
“There can be another way,” Elder Lailah said, using her power to calm the room. Warmth bathed Eli and his limbs relaxed. Even Chaz seemed calm as he looked at her and she continued. “On Ol’ Hallow’s Eve, the veil between worlds is thin and all beings may walk the same path, be them preternatural or human. Ole Hallow’s Eve is today. Eli has broken no rules this day.”
“You twist the rules to save him, dear wife, but what of tomorrow? What of next week?” Chaz lifted his hands. “What say you to that?”
Elder Lailah’s lips curved. Obviously, she had an answer. “He says the female loves him. Perhaps glamour did not play a part in the affair and the human was drawn to Eli’s arresting dark looks and his engaging wit. Let’s see if what he says holds true. Bind his glamour and send him back with only his human attributes at work. Send him to a time before she knew who he was.” She lifted her slim shoulders in a shrug and sat back in her seat, meeting Eli’s gaze. “See if she falls in love with him without the magic of his gift. If her soul recognizes him, then his life with her was never a lie.”
Bind his glamour? That meant they would bind his wings. Eli’s mouth felt suddenly dry. He’d be defenseless as a human, too, but if he could be with her it would be worth the sacrifice. He straightened his back with resolve. “I’ll do it.”
Chaz paced as he thought over what Lailah suggested. The elder never made rash judgments and wouldn’t be rushed now. The crowd surprisingly was quiet. It was as if all held their breath for the final say of his fate.
Chaz finally stood still, his gaze pinning him down with a fierce look. He had the feeling the elder would much rather kill him than deal with what he felt would be a farce. Chaz glanced at his wife, his features softening for a moment. His eyelids closed, the thick lashes were surprisingly dark against his skin when his hair on his head was a light shade of bronzed gold. When he opened his eyes again, the decision was made. His gaze narrowed in on Eli once more. “So be it.” With a wave of his hand, magic poured from his fingertips and landed on him, bathing him with warmth. The binds around his wrists vanished. Bones knitted together, bruises faded, making him whole.
Eli stood and spread his dove colored wings wide, testing them. He looked at the elder with a raised brow, confused to why the elder healed him.
“That is all the favor you shall receive,” Chaz told him. “From now on there will be no healing yourself in an instant from major injuries. You will have no powers.”
“I thought you were going to take my wings.” He probably shouldn’t have pointed out that fact, but his tongue obviously didn’t know when to keep quiet.
Chaz’s lips curved, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes. “Oh but I am. Remove your shirt so I may see your wings where they’re attached to your flesh. There can be no human concealments for the binding ritual.”
Eli swallowed the lump in the back of his throat and did as he was told. He dropped his T-shirt at his feet and stood straight, his gaze focused in front of him. Chaz circled around him, his fingers caressing his newly healed wings. “Are you sure?” He stood close and his words only reached his ears, giving him one last chance to change his mind.
He found happiness in Ryden’s arms and he knew he gave her joy, too. For him there was no choice but to accept the challenge the elders put before him. He nodded. “Yes, I am sure.”
Chaz sighed and shook his head. “So be it then.” He stepped behind him and the ancient words left his lips to the rhythm of a Gregorian chant.
Blinding pain exploded from Eli’s shoulder blades, sweeping down to his lower back and nausea rose in his throat, threatening to choke him. Staggering, he went down, falling to his knees with his hands on the floor bracing him. Oh God, he was going to die. His wings were melting into his skin and the burning flesh hit his nostrils with the sickening scent. He lifted his head to the heavens and let out a deep guttural cry for mercy.

Cate: Wow, that was great. What inspired you to write about the theme?
Karen: The Dead Sea Scrolls were the inspiration for The Warriors for the Light series. I was intrigued with The Book of Enoch. It’s about the Fallen Angels called the Grigori or Watchers. Of course all my tales are a figment of my imagination and I leaned toward a more romantic view for them.

Cate: Very cool. How do you develop your plots and characters?
Karen: I like to have a background for my characters. For my fallen angels, they didn’t fall from heaven and lose their wings like some of the more traditional stories betray them. They are the Grigori/Watchers, the half-human, half-angel beings. In my stories the Watchers are shifters. They can walk among us in their human form, but have the capability to shift into their more angelic form with wings and all.

Cate: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Karen: When I’m writing the story, they do. Sometimes, I have a difficult time falling asleep because the characters are anxious to be heard. lol

Cate: What's next for you?
Karen: I’m working on Lucca’s story for the Warriors for the Light Series. He’s the villain in Eli’s book so he has a lot to atone for in his tale.

Cate: Any other published works?
Karen: Time Travel Romances: Creighton Manor, A Twist of Fate, At the Stroke of Midnight, and Lost in the Mist of Time
Otherworldly: Moon Shifter (werewolves), Autumn Moon (Vampires), Destiny’s Prerogative (were-jaguars)
Short stories: Second Time Around Anthology: The Spirit of Love is my ghostly tale with a twist.
Black Donald’s Coin, A Heart of Warrior, Shattered Illusions
Coming soon: A Sensual Halloween Collection, my story is “Legend of Tempest Gate Cemetery”

Cate: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Karen: The most challenging is finding time to write and staying focused. I have a day job, husband, kids and very spoiled pets to keep me busy. The Internet and the yahoo groups lure me away from my writing, too. Lol
The most rewarding is when a reader tells me how much they enjoyed one of my stories.

Cate: Whew! You are one busy lady. :)
Who are some of your favorite authors and books? What are you reading now?
Karen: Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander Series is my favorite time travel novels. I love J.R. Ward’s books (Black Dagger Brotherhood series.) Gotta love the brothers. The Olympians by Guy Bolton. This is a poignant love story between the poet Percy Shelley and Mary Godwin. Unfortunately, I believe it’s out of print. The copy I have was printed in 1961. It was a Library discard, but a treasure to me. Stress of her Regard by Tim Powers is another favorite. A man wakes up to find his bride murdered and seeks help from his friends who happen to be the poets Lord Byron and Percy Shelly. The author weaves the poets’ writings into the book as if their poems were true accounts of their experiences with the lamia (vampire type creature.) Definitely a chilling adventure. I could go on and on. There are so many authors’ works I love. I have six overflowing bookshelves to prove it. lol

Cate: Where can you be found on the web?
Karen: You can find me at: www.kmnbooks.com
http://kmnbooks.blogspot.com or of course I’m on facebook (under Karen Michelle Nutt), myspace and Twitter (KMNBooks).

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Karen: What are your favorite paranormal tales you can’t get enough of? Do love Vamps? Werewolves? Shifters? Angels? Dragons? If you could become any paranormal being, which one would you choose and why?

Cate: Readers, Karen is giving away a copy of Eli to a random commenter... so start commenting. Karen will draw the winner’s name, notify the winner and post the winner’s name here.

Thanks for being my guest, Karen! Best of luck with all your projects.

26 comments:

Becca said...

Hello Karen and Cate,

You asked about favorite paranormal tales and I would have to say that angels and demons are my favorite. Also if I had to choose I would be an angel. Though I am highly influenced by Castiel from the TV Show Supernatural. :D

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Becca,

I love Castiel from Supernatural. He's one of my favorite characters.I'm so glad they signed him on for a regular on the show.

Thanks so much for coming by and sharing. :)

Tracie said...

I am slowly making the transition to the paranormals. For the longest time I wanted something I could relate to or at the very least explain. As time passes, I am enjoying the escape from "reality" and really enjoying them. I enjoyed reading your excerpt and it immediately drew me in. Good luck and happy writing!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Tracie,

Thanks for coming by. It's always nice to escape from the real world for a while. :)

Thanks for the well wishes, too.

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Karen, and Cate...oh, what a terrific post. "The brush of an angel's wing" just is the most evocative phrase I've read for a long time. Your concepts are just terrific, Karen.

I love the idea of angels. Confess I was kinda a sucker for that show Touched-By eons ago. The Christmas specials with Randy Travis still live in my heart.

I think the concept of time-travel is incredible. I used to discuss it with the physics teacher during lunch duty when I taught high school.

That said LOL I thought Time Traveler's Wife was one of the most disappointing books ever. The movie, which I just managed to catch on cable the other night, actually was better than the book. Rarely happens.

Well, I have babbled long enough. Thanks for the great post, ladies.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Tanya,

Thanks for coming by for a visit. Time travel has always intrigued me, too. I would have loved to be in on those discussions you had with your physics teacher. :)

I haven't seen the specials with Randy Travis. I'll have to see if I can catch one.

The Time Travelers Wife had me intrigued, but sad, too. I knew it couldn't end with a happy note and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Thanks again for coming by and saying hi.

Katie H. said...

Loved Eli's story. Will we get to read Gideon's story in the future?

Cheryl said...

Hey Karen and Cate,

Great interview! Cate you always ask the very best questions!

Karen, you know I'm a huge fan of yours and the Warriors for the Light series is no exception. I love this excerpt. SO REAL!!! I would love to win a copy, and I'm so glad to see more of your wonderful imagination brought to life!

Time travel intrigues me, too, and angels and demons are my faves wien it comes to paranormal reading/writing.

Hugs,
Cheryl

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Katie,

You bet there's a story for the red-headed fallen angel.Lucca's story is in the works now. Gideon's tale is scheduled to be third. Stay tuned!

Thanks so much for letting me know you enjoyed Eli's story. That means so much to me. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Waving to you Cheryl!

So glad you came by. I'm a fan of your writing, too. I just read your wounded hero story in the "A Summer Collection" anthology. Like always, you've written memorable characters.

Time travel will always be a favorite of mine. I can't get enough. Angels and demons have joined ranks of my favorites, too. There's just something about those dark and angelic beings that draw me to want to know more about what makes them tick. My muse is having a field day. lol

Of course you're entered in the contest. My daughter picks the names out of a bowl (sorry don't have a hat.) lol This way everyone has a fair chance.

Thanks again for stopping in. I look forward to reading more of your wonderful stories, too.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Karen Michelle, I HAVE to have ELI. These books sound fabulous, as do your others. You have a wonderful imagination.

Savanna Kougar said...

Karen, wonderful interview. Gotta love all those paranormal heroines and heroes.

Losing wings. Yep, that is a tough way to go. Ooooo-eeee ouch!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Caroline,

Thanks so much. I'm thrilled the tales have caught your eyes. :)

Thank you for coming by to say hi.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Savanna,

What one will do for love...

The Fallen thought to have no souls. Eli discovers maybe the Elders were wrong. He's willing to risk it all to find out.

Thank you so much for coming by and taking a sneak peek.

Cate Masters said...

Sorry to be so late in commenting. One of those crazy days! But I, too, love stories about angels. I can't wait to read Eli either.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Karen and Cate.

Great interview. I am not really into paranormal, but your stories sound fascinating Karen.

Cheers

Margaret

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Margaret,

Thank you. I'm glad Eli sparked some interest.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Cate,

Fashionably late--(hee hee)
I appreciate you letting me showcase my books. :)

Rebecca J Vickery said...

HI Karen and Cate,
A great interview and a powerful excerpt. I loved Eli and I can't wait for Lucca. (Don't enter me in the drawing as I already have Eli.) Just came by to say HI!

flchen1 said...

Hi, Cate and Karen! I enjoyed your interview--it's always a treat to have the chance to see what a writer's life is like ;) You're such a juggler of many things and talents! I'm intrigued by the snippet and descriptions you posted--will definitely be checking out your titles! Thanks!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Amy J Ramsey said...

Karen. It's always a pleasure to learn more about your work and Cate, You have an amazing site.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks so much for popping in to say hello!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Fichin1,

Thank you so much for coming by for a visit. I'm so glad you enjoyed the snippet of Eli. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Amy,

So glad to see you. I know how busy you are. I appreciate your continuous support. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I want to thank everyone for coming by and chatting with me. Thank you, Cate for letting me share my stories. You have a lovely site.

Now for what everyone has been waiting for. The winner is...Cheryl.
I'll be emailing you shortly.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheryl said...

THANK YOU KAREN!!!! I am thrilled!!
Cheryl