Sunday, May 15, 2011

California dreamin' for Six Sentence Sunday

Thanks so much to everyone who drops by each week! Sundays feel like a blog party. :) I love reading your comments, and especially reading everyone else's entries.

This week, I'm sharing six from my newly released historical, San Francisco Dreams, set during the 1906 earthquake there. The heroine, Norah Hawkins, is a feisty girl, necessary due to her unfortunate circumstances. To set up this snippet, she's about to leave her terrible past behind, but while waiting for her train to San Francisco, runs into the snake-tongued biddy who's made her life miserable for too long. Payback is sweet. :)

“Finery can’t disguise a…” Mrs. Hathaway whispered the last. “…hussy.”
“Mm.” Norah slowly scanned the woman’s barrel-like form. “Why Martha, for once, I do believe you’re right. Honestly, a woman of your age shouldn’t wear rouge.” 
The biddy resembled a chicken that had lost its squawk. 

Tomorrow I'm starting a new blog series called First Chapters, and will be posting -- you guessed it -- the first chapter of San Francisco Dreams. I hope you'll stop by. Norah's not done with old Martha yet. :)