Sunday, June 10, 2012

SSS: Mary's story begins

Yay, another Six Sentence Sunday. Thanks so much for visiting, and especially for your comments. You guys rock.

Here's another look at my literary novel, Orion Rising. I hope you'll grab a copy from Amazon - it will be free Wednesday through next Sunday.
 
Our Victorian home sat at the very end of Buttonwood Street, perched between civilization and wilderness, at the edge of a field lined with patches of buttonwood and birch trees. Beyond, the Orion River endlessly flowed. I’d always considered our house to be the beginning of the world rather than the end of the street.

From within the attic observatory my father built, space seemed to begin, with the heavens stretching away into infinity. Above our little world, slowly rotating within the heavens, were the figures of heroes and maidens and beasts that seemed like old friends. My father had given life to these celestial stick figures by filling our heads with their fantastic myths.

Sounds almost idyllic? Too bad it doesn't last. 

Check out the fantastic super-authors of Six Sentence Sunday, and have a great week! (And don't forget to mark your calendar so you can grab a copy of  Orion Rising this week!)

14 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

So very intriguing! I'll be getting a copy. Thanks! :)

Lisa Fox said...

Wow, beautifully written!

Fairday Morrow said...

I marked my calendar! I love the excerpt you shared. Especially the line about not being the end of the street- but the beginning.

~Jess

Wildcat's Wife said...

I really enjoyed your description of the Victorian house. I felt I was right there on a hillside looking at it.

sue said...

sounds like a unique story and well done.

Kate said...

The entire six is beautiful, Cate, but this is my favorite line: "I’d always considered our house to be the beginning of the world rather than the end of the street."

Just lovely!

Monica Enderle Pierce said...

I love how you've drawn a parallel between her home/street and the observatory/universe. Lovely imagery, Cate.

Pippa Jay said...

Very intriguing!

diannehartsock said...

Sounds like a beautiful memory. Wonder where it's going to lead?

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Interesting start. I've put check Amazon on my calendar next Wednesday.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Gorgeous description!

Jenna said...

Lovely, flowing description. Great for setting the scene. Can't wait to see what goes wrong!

Ginger Simpson said...

You have amazing descriptive talents that make your writing shine. Great six.

Siobhan Muir said...

Great lead-in to the conflict to come. I could picture the stars with your descriptions. Nicely done. :)