Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insecure Writers: Discouragement

Wow, it's so easy to get discouraged in this writing biz. And let it throw us off track. It presents itself as an almost palpable obstacle now and then, so I overcome it by reminding myself why I write - because I love it. It's my joy and my escape, my nurturing and sometimes tearing-down. But always, it's part of who I am. All the other nits about this business won't stop me from doing what I love.

I came across this graphic online, and it seemed perfect for today. For anyone finding themselves in a slump, know that it's perfectly natural. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and remember what's important. Never never never give up.

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Ninja organizer of Insecure Writers. Go visit some other writers and spread some good will!




14 comments:

Clay said...

Thats a really good attitude to have about writing.

I really like the image and it really gets to the heart of IWSG posts. I have got a lot more out of helping others and it really doesn't take much to stop by and just let them know that they are not alone with the challenges of writing. Cheers!

Cate Masters said...

That's what's great about this group, Clay - it eases my mind to know that other writers suffer the same frustrations. We're all in this together!

Ciara said...

I LOVE that picture. I've always coped with the lows by focusing on others. It's great therapy for all. Pay it forward and you'll find happiness in others.

Marta Szemik said...

I really like that quote. It's a wonderful way to think about your writing. Keep it up!

Mama J said...

Great image and fab attitude to have.

DMS said...

What fabulous advice- and you are taking it by doing just that. We can all get down sometimes- but you are right that it is also important to remember why we write. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Jess

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I always feel like you're the writer I want to aspire to be. You're so active and write so much and it's so good, I can't imagine your discouragement. You go, girl!

Liza said...

This is a nice thought. Encourage others. I'm tucking that one up my sleeve!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is perfect! When we focus on someone else, our problems disappear.

Lexa Cain said...

I'm not going to give up without a fight. But I've been asking myself more and more lately if life wouldn't be just fine without writing. I think I'd miss the people I've met more than the actual writing and certainly more than the neverending pursuit of agents.

Stephen Tremp said...

Ah, the Master is most wise. Help others, and open the floodgates to be blessed and favored.

Arlene said...

You have always been so supportive, Cate, ready to lend a shoulder or to applaud. And I agree with the other comments, encouraging others is awesome advise.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks guys. I've been fortunate to know plenty of writers who helped encourage me along the way, so I hope it helps others too.

Melissa said...

Great post! Love it! :)

IWSG #179 (At least until Alex culls the list again. :P)