Monday, October 1, 2012

Karen Michelle Nutt kicks off the Halloween fun!

Cate: Woo hoo! Karen Michelle Nutt's the first victim - er, guest - at my special Halloween celebration. Karen, please tell us a little bit about yourself.

Karen: Time Travels have been a passion of mine.  I have always been intrigued with the possibility of being able to reach back in time and change the past. Common sense says influencing the past is impossible, but I can't help but wonder: What if I can?


Fallen Angels, vampires and shape shifters embrace my darker side where their worlds intertwine with ours.



Whether your reading fancy is paranormal, historical or time travel, all my stories capture the rich array of emotions that accompany the most fabulous human phenomena—falling in love.



I share my life with a wonderful man, three lovely children and house full of pets. In my spare time, I review for Paranormal Reviews, a great place to find paranormal books and other genres. My new passion is the wonders of Photoshop. My header for my website and blog were my first projects. I've since created book covers for Victory Tales Press and Western Trail Blazers.



Cate: What do you love most about Halloween?

Karen: Anything paranormal! I’m a big fan. (I bet you couldn’t guess that from my books. Lol) I love the costumes and the chance to be someone else for the night—a vampire, a werewolf, a big scary monster. The list goes on. You can let your imagination soar. I also love the decorations. Pumpkins, skeletons, ghosts, and witches adorn my home during the month of October. And don’t get me started on the Halloween stories and movies. Nothing too gory—I like eerie, where the fine hairs on the nape of my neck stand at attention and gooseflesh rise on my arms.



Cate: A woman after my own heart. :) Do you have a favorite memory of a Halloween past?

Karen: I remember as at teen winning, Best Halloween Costume. I went as a vampire- Black flowing gown my mother helped me sew. My hair was long so that was easy enough to part in the middle. I used makeup to make my flesh look pale and added just a drop of blood at the corner of my mouth. (Yes, it was fake blood. And no, I’m not really a vampire.)  But I did have some awesome falsies. (Vampire teeth that is.)



Cate: Have you ever had an unusual experience you couldn’t explain?

Karen: At my parent’s house there’s a resident ghost. A little girl has appeared off and on throughout the years. She’s not shy; she’s made her presence known to friends who visit, too.



Cate: Very cool! What frightens you the most?

Karen: I don’t like spiders. Heck, bugs in general freak me out. I don’t like any stories with demon possessions either. I like to be in control and the thought of some evil being taking over just petrifies me.



Cate: *shudders* Me, too. Ever gone on a ghost tour? Or ghost hunting on your own?

Karen: Every chance I get. (Lol) When we take a holiday, it includes a ghost tour of the city we are visiting. Love it! My girlfriends and I also will take in tours, Even if it is not a ghost tour, we like to research the place and find out if there’s been paranormal activity.



Cate: Sounds like fun! Any favorite Halloween recipes you’d care to share?

Karen: For Halloween my kids used to love dirt cups. It’s easy, fun and something the kids can do, too.

Ingredients:

2 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (4 serving) Jello chocolate flavor instant pudding
1 pkg. (16 oz.) chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed (we used Oreo tops)
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed



Decorations: (Be creative and add something different.)

Gummy worms, gummy eyeballs, gummy anything…


Directions:

Pour milk into large bowl. Add pudding mix. Beat with whisk until well blended. (About 1 to 2 minutes.)

Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in whipped topping and half of crushed cookies.

Place 1 tablespoon crushed cookies into cups.

Fill cups 3/4 full with pudding mixture.

Top with remaining crushed cookies.

Refrigerate for 1 hour. Then Decorate!



Cate: Tell us about your latest release, and where readers can find it online.

Karen: My latest release is Twilight’s Eternal Embrace (vampires)

This story is an Upper YA book, which means it is appropriate for 15 yrs to 21years and older. The story itself has an old world medieval feel to it. The story is about Bram and Adryanna and their forbidden love for each other. Isn’t forbidden a great word? It makes the impish part of our psyche want to know more? (Yep, I know, it’s wicked.)



It can be found at Amazon, Barnes and Noble  and other online bookstores—Kindle, NOOK, iPad, print… all formats. J



Cate: Care to share a blurb or excerpt? (suitable for general audiences, please)

Karen: Adryanna, a Lathe Sith, mourns the death of her recently mated sister, but she finds solace in the most unlikely place—in the arms of Bram, an Oiche Sith. She should fear him, loathe his existence, but instead she longs for their twilight embraces. Bram admires Adryanna’s strength and wishes only to protect her, even if it’s from him.



If Bram cannot find a way for Adryanna to survive the blooding ritual the romance is doomed. They seek help from Sheerin, Bram’s cousin, who believes he’s found a way for the Lathe Sith to survive, but others in the Oiche Sith clan do not wish for them to succeed.



Cate: What inspired you to write about the theme?

Author: I wanted to give vampires a back-story, a place where the first vampire clans originated, instead of the traditional rise from a grave and wreck havoc scenario. I wanted to humanize the vampires. Give them families, friends and love ones. That being said, it doesn’t mean they are cuddly and sweet. They are vampires.



Cate: Anything else you’d like to share?

Karen: I have a question for the readers. Who is your favorite vampire? Tell me what power or special talent this vampire has that intrigues you? Could be he/she walks in the daylight. He/She can eat food. He/She can shapeshift. Anything...



Cate: Oo, tough question! But leave a comment because Karen has a wicked good giveaway! :)

Karen: Answer the questions above and leave a comment. It’s easy. :) Contest ends at Midnight tonight!!



Giveaway:  
E-book copy of my vampire short Love’s Eternal Embrace and an e-book copy of 2012 Fall/Paranormal Collection (My novella, Shattered Illusions is featured in the collection). Don’t forget to leave your email so I may contact you if you should win.



Thank you everyone for stopping by and saying hello. Cate, you have a wonderful site and I’m thrilled you let me haunt your wicked blog today.

Have a Hauntingly Spooky Halloween, Everyone!

Karen



I’d like to share one of my Six Sentence Sunday post for Twilight’s Eternal Embrace

In this scene: Bram fears for Adryanna's safety once he finds out his clan has been hiding their mistakes in the dungeon. The bloodlings that have died from blood loss, but have risen again are no longer human, but they are not entirely a vampire either. The blood lust rules their existence. Bram wants to scare Adryanna away from him and drags her down to the dungeon to see what her future will be if she stays with him. Death or Fiend...neither is promising.



Now the six:

“By all rights, you should leave this place and never return, but my sweet Adryanna, you prove not to be a coward. Do you not understand? I am not good for you,” he pleaded for her to open her eyes and witness the truth. “I will destroy you. I will destroy the tender compassion you hold in your heart, the light in your eyes will die, and all that makes me love you will cease to exist.”



“No, it will never happen.”



About the author: Karen Michelle Nutt resides in California with her husband, three fascinating children, and a houseful of demanding pets. Jack, her Chihuahua/Yorkshire terrier is her writing buddy and sits long hours with her at the computer.

Whether your reading fancy is paranormal, historical or time travel, all her stories capture the rich array of emotions that accompany the most fabulous human phenomena—falling in love.

Visit the author at her website: http://www.kmnbooks.com

Stop by her blog for Monday interviews, chats and contests at:





Cate: Have a spooktacular Halloween, Karen! Everyone should visit Karen's blog - she's throwing a fun event all month too! I'll be there Oct. 13. :)

For the first Halloween post, I thought it would be appropriate to have a little bit about the origins of Halloween. According to History.com, it began more than two thousand years ago as a Celtic festival in remembrance of deceased loved ones. Many of you already know it as Samhain. On October 31, the barrier between this world and the next falls away, allowing spirits to pass through freely. To welcome the spirits, people placed extra dinner settings at the table, left treats for them and lit candles to help them find their way back to the spirit world. Children went from door to door asking for soul cakes for the dead, and for every morsel received, they'd say a prayer.

In the Middle Ages, people feared black cats because of the superstition that witches could transform themselves into cats at will. They lit bonfires to ward off evil spirits and ensure no one's soul would be stolen that night. As extra protection, people dressed in costumes and masks so the evil soul snatchers wouldn't recognize them.




10 comments:

Cate Masters said...

Hey Karen! *waves* Thanks for kicking off the Halloween fun, and for all the goodies! Dirt cups sound easy (my favorite kind). :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Cate ,

Thanks for having me here! Don't you just love Halloween!! lol


Easy recipes are my thing. Five or less ingredients are perfect. lol Hey, the less time I'm in the kitchen, the more time I have to write. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Karen, good luck with your book!
And ghost tours are awesome. Ever taken one in Scotland?

LisaRayns said...

Great interview and post! I try to stay out of the kitchen but the recipe looked good too.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Alex,

A ghost tour in Scotland-- I haven't but it is on my to do list. :) I've been on one in Ireland. Shook hands with a 800 yr old mummy... but that's another story. Thanks so much for stopping in. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Lisa,

You are a smart woman. The kitchen is a scary place. lol

Cathy said...

Who is your favorite vampire? Mick St. John from Moonlight.

What talent intrigues me? He could walk in the daylight(with difficulty, but hey, he still managed.)

Savanna Kougar said...

Fabulous post, Karen. And mucho success.

My fave vampire, besides the ones in my WIPs, is Adrian Paul as the vampire professor in Relic Hunter. Ah, the power of pure romantic sex appeal.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Thank you everyone for popping in to say hi. Cathy N. is the winner. Please contact me at kmnbook at yahoo dot com (no spaces)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Cate,
Thanks so much for having me!