Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Support a worthy cause

I am reprinting this for my niece, Kate Strouse, whose work with deaf students is so very inspiring. Please consider contributing to her very worthy cause.

Dear family and friends,

On Sunday, November 22nd, I will be taking on the challenge of running 26.2 miles at The Philadelphia Marathon. As you all know, this is my 3rd year volunteering with Students Run Philly Style, a non-profit organization that is working hard at tackling childhood obesity, low graduation rates & youth violence with a unique combination of long distance running & mentorship. Youth in this program train alongside adult mentors for nine months in order to complete a marathon or half marathon. At near-close of my 3rd year with Students Run, I am amazed at the change in so many of the students (and coaches!) that I've been running with. I can credit Students Run with a great amount of personal growth as well.

The statistics for youth in Philadelphia are alarming. Over 50 percent of children are obese or at risk for becoming so and almost half of high school students do not graduate in four years. I truly believe in what Students Run is doing to provide a brighter future for Philadelphia’s youth. I hope you will join me in supporting their mission.

I have set a personal goal to raise $1,000 toward this effort. I know that my friends and family are not wealthy people economically, but I do know that they are rich in spirit. I am hoping many small donations will help me reach my goal. A donation of $1 per mile ($26.20) is suggested, but whatever you can do to contribute matters…it all adds up! Your support will help go directly to helping Students Run Philly Style provide services for more youth.

You may make a tax deductible donation online at my fundraising page. I will continue to accept donations until the day of the race.

Thank you so much for your endless support.
With much gratitude and much love,
Kate

Check out Kate's Facebook event page.
I'm so proud of you, Kate!