Thursday, June 10, 2010

Author Chat with Julie Lynn Hayes

Cate: Hi Julie! So glad to have you at Author Chat, where we can learn a little bit about you, and your book.
Grab a cappuccino and let’s chat. Unless you have another favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?
Julie: Cappuccino would be wonderful, thanks!

Cate: Fur or feathers, petwise?
Julie: Fur. I have two cats, The Mighty Ramesses and Lady Chablis. I’ve never had a bird, and I wouldn’t really know what to do with one, to be honest. I supposed I’d get used to it, but I’m a little intimidated at the idea.

Cate: I think we've had every type of pet imaginable, lol. Speaking of pets... any pet peeves? One thing that really burns your biscuits?
Julie: I hate people who treat the world as their private trash can. They throw cigarette butts out their car windows with impunity. I don’t know if they think they’re biodegradable or if they’re just lazy, but they aren’t, and they certainly are. Lazy, that is. Also, there are people who think nothing of going into a parking lot and dumping out the contents of their car ashtray. Or change their oil. Seriously, people? What’s wrong with you?

Cate: Yuck, I agree. Favorite quote?
Julie: “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” Eleanor Roosevelt

Cate: Love her, she has many quotable quotes! What’s your ideal day like?
Julie: I have no ideal day. I accept every day as it comes, with its own unique challenges and gifts. I’m grateful for every one of them, even if they aren’t necessarily the way I might like. I live each day to the fullest, and then I go to bed and get up the next day and do it all again.

Cate: Wonderful. :) If you could live out any fantasy, what would you do?
Julie: My fantasy is to get to meet Gary Oldman, become friends with him, and to get to work with on a film project. Maybe even a cable series. Possibly based on my To the Max series.

Cate:  Ah, I love that. :) Beethoven, Beatles, Foo Fighters or Keith Urban?
Julie:  I have eclectic tastes, and actually I like them all, but if I have to choose, then let’s make it Beethoven.

Cate: I have eclectic tastes too, and can never choose, lol. Do you have a music playlist for your book?
Julie: No, I don’t ever make playlists for my books. I listen to whatever I’m in the mood for. Sometimes it depends on what I’m writing. Some things require that there by no lyrics, so classic or jazz works well. Sometimes it doesn’t matter. Soundtracks are great to write by. Most have no lyrics. At other times songs with lyrics are most welcome.

Cate: Which of your characters would you most/least to invite to dinner, and why?
Julie: I would love to have dinner with Max and Richard the most. The least, from Dark Love, would be Paul Stepford, who’s very creepy and crazy.

Cate: While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
Julie: I think I was most surprised that I could actually write a book. It seems so offputting when you first consider the notion, and you look at other author’s books that you’ve read and enjoyed, then think about doing it. So I stopped thinking about it and started doing it, and lo and behold a book was actually born. I learned that I can do it, and I’m going to keep on doing it.

Cate: Very cool. Where can readers find out more about you?
Julie: My Links:
My blog:  http://julielynnhayes.blogspot.com 
My website: www.julielynnhayes.com 
My facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=527332074 
My Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3442231.Julie_Lynn_Hayes
My Publishers:
Silver Publishing: http://silverpublishing.info/index/typefilter/book_authors/book_authors_id/88 
Wicked Nights: http://wickednights.info/?page_id=361 
Dreamspinner Press: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/index.php?cPath=55_222 

Cate: Please share a book blurb and excerpt!
Julie: Blurb:  
Life is truly beautiful!  Richard actually asked me to marry him, do you believe it?  Of course there’s a small hurdle we have to cross – namely that gay marriage isn’t legal here in Missouri.  But it’s a start, right?
Things are looking up for us, now that I know the truth about Richard.  Our careers are doing well, we’re blissfully happy together, and Mother has given us her blessing!  My sister Diana is going through boyfriends like some people change clothes, I wonder if she’ll ever find Mr. Right? Cat’s cousin has turned out to be a real interesting character, and the most interesting thing is – he’s a werewolf!  And more disturbing than that, I think that maybe my father (that shadowy figure who’s never figured in my life) might just be someone named Jason.  It’s a long story.
Just when I thought I had things figured out, they change, and I find out that what I thought I knew was just so much nonsense.  In other words – lies.  Who can I trust?  Other than Richard, of course. And what should I believe?  And why does it seem like the world is trying to shake me out of my lycanthropic closet?
What’s a gay werewolf to do?

Excerpt:
"You really don't have to do this if you don't want to, you know?"
"Not marry you? Don't be silly, you know I want to marry you, Max. I wouldn't have proposed if I didn't."
"No, not that. Tonight. The party. We can simply bow out of it. Maybe not gracefully, but we can find some excuse that'll get us off the hook."
"How about one of our classics?" Richard clears his throat and assumes a pseudo Viennese accent, rolling his r's. "Max has come down with beriberi and his doctor has forbidden him to leave quarantine."
I roll my eyes at his horrible imitation and he drops back into normal.
"Or how about this one—we have to fly to the Congo tonight and help a starving nation?" Richard chuckles as he comes up behind me, wraps his arms around me, and nuzzles my neck. We're in our bedroom, dressing for the big event, aka our engagement party.
I just wanted to give him an out, an escape clause. But he doesn't seem inclined to take it. So be it. We'll go. Maybe it'll be fun? After all, we are celebrating our togetherness, our future marriage, right?
Mother said nothing fancy, so we take her at her word and dress simply, yet very nicely. Richard offered to go as Verlaine, to my Rimbaud of course, but I declined his generous offer. I told him we could save the role-play for another time, perhaps while we watch Total Eclipse. Again. I gaze with approval as he dons a pair of tailored black slacks, Donna Karan actually, and a pale jade button-down shirt, with a black embroidered, watered silk vest. I salivate every time I look at him. I'll tell you right now I plan to be sneaking peeks often during the course of the evening. For myself, I'm wearing camel cords and a pale blue dress shirt. Richard says the shade sets off my eyes.
And now we're ready to go, come what may.
Mother has asked us to arrive first, so we do, albeit with slight misgivings. I hope she doesn't have an ambush planned. A new boyfriend? Further theories as to why Richard and I shouldn't be together? I know I'm being paranoid, but considering what we've been through, I think it's, to some degree, understandable. Richard merely shushes away my fears as we pull up to her house in the Monte. At least she didn't pick the full moon. I give her credit for that much common sense.
She's waiting for us in the family room. The house is riotous with color, blue and purple crepe draped from the ceilings, with matching balloons filling every nook and cranny. A large banner proclaiming 'CONGRATS MAX AND RICHARD!' hangs in the hallway, impossible to miss. We pass by the dining room and I see the table has been set up for a buffet. I'm impressed. Mother has gone to some trouble for us, and I appreciate her efforts. She does mean well, most of the time.
"Rachel's worked her fingers off helping me put this together," Mother says. "You just missed her—she ran home to get dressed." Since she lives next door, in the same house she grew up in, that won't take very long; at least, you wouldn't think so.
"Is Mark with her?"
"No, but I think Josiah might be coming. And I think her agent is, too."
"Really?" I'm surprised. And more than a little confused. "I didn't expect that. She never said anything about it."
My mother wears a strange smirk on her face. "Things change when you least expect it, Max."
What the hell does that mean? Then again, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know right now. Just enjoy the moment, I remind myself, squeezing Richard's hand. He returns my squeeze and adds a kiss for good measure.
"At any rate, I asked you two here early, so we could take a few minutes and drink a toast together. And I have something to give you, too." She bustles about now, a bottle of what appears to be champagne in her hands. She pops the cork, pouring the contents into three fluted glasses, which she distributes among us. "I love you both, and I know you'll make each other very happy forever!" We clink our glasses together with muffled tings, echoing the sentiment.
When we've duly drunk to ourselves, whether it's proper etiquette or not, she takes the glasses and sets them down, leaving the room for a moment before returning with something in her hands, something bound with a pink ribbon. It appears to be a photo album. My self-preservation meter has just kicked in.
"I put together some old photos of you, Max, ones that I've had forever, and some others of the two of you. Now that you're getting married, I think it's high time I pass these along." She smiles as she hands the book to Richard first. Richard grins, too. Damn, I can only imagine the embarrassing pictures contained in those pages.
"Old, as in childhood old?" I ask, trying to gauge how potentially damaging this might be.


"Yes, from when you were a baby."
Damn. Pretty damaging. But there's nothing to be done for it, as Richard has already removed the bow from the cover and is diving into its depths, ogling the contents. And gauging by the smile on his face, he finds them to be pretty damn cute. I'm done for, I can see that now.
Buy For Love of Max here 

Cate: Thanks for chatting Julie!
Julie: Thanks for having me, Cate!