Sunday, July 18, 2010

Arlene Webb in the Author Spotlight

Cate: Please welcome Arlene Webb. Arlene, will you please share a short bio with us?
Arlene:
I run a florist shop and I write—paranormal, sci-fi, historical, undefinable, with sweet to spicy layers of romance, every free second I can.

Cate: Tell us about SplinteredEnergy and where it's available. 
Arlene: Splintered Energy is the first in a four book series. Dawn literally breaks and a handful of humans fall dead across the USA. Fractured sentient beings, particles of light each a specific wavelength or color, are trapped in adult human bodies without memory of a past or of the host.
With seven characters of color (five introduced in book one), they each have vibrant personalities. OCD, superman syndrome, sociopath, generalized anxiety, and so forth. The colors bond to the first human who’s kind to them, and the series is told from alien and human point of view. Science nerds interested in twisted physics, adults who enjoy a read with powerful and flawed characters that must learn to cooperate or all will be lost, and those who like subtle layers of romance making vulnerable aliens even more human, should enjoy the series. I hope to release book 2, The R Word, by the end of August.

Cate: Such a great premise! Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Arlene: You graciously hosted me, and an excerpt,recently.  
  
There is a character interview scheduled for a review site eventually. How about a sneak preview?

Cate: Go for it.
What’s your name and are you happy to be here?
My name’s been Demon, Freak, Red, Monster, and others that are too mean to say to anyone I’m not whacking over the head. I answer to Damon. And no, I’m not happy to be here. Sorry for being impolite, but I have a problem with liars.

How did you first meet your writer, Damon?
I have a writer? Where? I’m trapped in a man’s body without a clue who, what, or why I am, and I’d like to strangle answers out of her.

Did you ever think that your life would end up being in a book?
No. I want to return wherever it is I belong. Velocity is the answer, and when I understand where to find that home, I could take everyone who need my protection with me.

What are your favorite scenes in your book: action, dialog, romance?
Not action. Jaylynn ruins the fun. She has a problem with dead people, wants me to be a gentleman. It’s not easy. Everyone’s afraid. Makes me seriously want to kill them.
Not dialog, but it becomes easier after Jaylynn plays learning tapes and understands me better.
Romance? Yes. That’s love. Once, Jaylynn rubbed my hurting head under a pine tree. Asked me to imagine where I should be. I told her, but I didn’t want to be anywhere unless she was there, too.

Did you have a hard time convincing your author to write any particular scenes for you?
No. She says I’m always in character.

Do you infiltrate your writer’s dreams?
Yes.  She sleeps. I don’t.

What do you like to do when you are not being actively read somewhere?
Shower. Feels right. Helps bullet wounds. Or holding Jaylynn under a red blanket, my hand over her mouth if she’s still yelling about what I recently did wrong, listening to Vivaldi, Joshua Bell, any classical/rock music.

Are you currently engaged in a relationship?
Not sure. I’m between one and three days old in book one and Jaylynn, she’s a woman I force to teach me words, water, fire, things of great value, takes forever to explain things like attraction. She’s fears how I’ll react.

Are you happy with the genre your writer has placed you in?
Yes. If romance means Jaylynn isn’t afraid of me. If science means I can go back where I belong. If suspense means I can…talk to police and confiscate all weapons.

 If you could rewrite anything in your book, what would it be?
Don’t know. The story isnt over. There’s four books.

Would you be interested in a sequel if your writer was so inclined?
Are you listening? There’s three more books before I find out why this has happened to me.

Do you believe that you are suitable portrayed in electronic books or would you rather be in paperback only?
Yes to electronic. I belong in a world that moves at lightspeed. But paperbacks are easier for me to hold.  Metal things, computers, cellphones, cars, all break too easily.

Did you have any input into the book cover design?
No. Or it’d be my face instead of an ugly blue man.

What is the lamest characteristic your writer has attributed to you? 
I’m the strongest being on Earth. That’s difficult. She also gave me extraordinary hearing. Hurts my head and I know when words ring false. But the lamest thing, she says that I don’t understand nuance and react like an impatient caveman. I’m not a cave, not a man, and I wait two, three long seconds before I break a liar’s jaw. Like I said, it’s difficult. 

If you could give yourself a superpower, what would you choose?
My writer says I have superman syndrome already, and not to give me more ideas. Thanks for talking with me. Bye.

Cate: Bye, Damon, thanks for visiting. Arlene, can you tell us why we're going to love your hero?
Arlene: Readers have a choice. They can pick a favorite color. Living light trapped in human bodies means sexy and beautiful, too.

Cate: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Arlene: The series is character driven. A new species of alien humanoids, and as such they’re quite memorable.

Cate: Like all your characters! What inspired you to draft your first story?
Arlene: That would be this series. Working as a florist, I’m surrounded by color and I wondered what it’d be like to view the world through a specific wavelength. It’s taking 4 books to figure it out.

Cate: Lucky for us. :) Do you have a writing routine?
Arlene: Nope. I write whenever I can focus and no one is bugging me.

Cate: I can relate! Where can readers find you on the web?
 http://www.arlenewebb.com/index.php

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Arlene: Yes. Drop me a line, positive or negative, any time. I’d love to hear from you. Thank you for having me on your website, Cate. I love visiting you, and appreciate all your support. Most of all, I’m grateful for your friendship.

Cate: The gratitude is mutual Arlene! I appreciate all you do for me and other authors. Readers, Arlene is giving away an e-book of Splintered Energy to a random commenter... so start commenting and leave your email address (use at, instead of @ or write out dot). She'll pick a winner next weekend and announce the winner here.
Thanks so much for being my guest Arlene! Best of luck with your series!