Friday, November 5, 2010

In the Author Spotlight: Angie Skelhorn

Cate: Please welcome Angie Skelhorn. Angie, will you please share a short bio with us?
Angie: Merry Meet,
I am a Canadian author, practicing Witch and Spiritualist who also divines with Tarot and ordinary playing cards. I’ve been writing Realistic Fiction/Magic and Realism for thirteen years. My written material has appeared in Circle Sanctuary Magazine, and online at The Global Goddess – The Oracle and Witches and Pagans.

Cate: Very cool! Tell us about your latest release and where it's available.
Angie: My book On the Edge available at http://Clublighthousepublishing.com is a great inspirational book with a positive message.
Against her family wishes Carm a whole-some farm girl marries her first love, and then abandoned everything she knows. After six weeks of marriage, when a devastating storm kills her husband, she’s a widow. In a strange city, torn by her loss, young, scared and no resources she begins to live a life she wasn’t ready for. Her emotions extremely low, and to make it comfortable to live in her own skin she turns to drugs and alcohol to self medicate. She is pushed to the edge as her relationships become tremulous.
Haunted by her deceased husband an introduction to Gretchen, a witch becomes a blessing. Secrets about her past, present, future and potential are revealed.

Cate: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Angie: I’d love to share a blurb of my story On the Edge.
“Look!” Beth said. “It’s the neighbourhood crazy lady. Look at the get-up on her. Straight from the broom closet.
An older woman dressed in a long black cape, hood up, entered. Carm observed the aged woman slide into the back booth, push the hood from her head, and then fluff her stylish grey hair with her finger tips. Seconds later she searched through the pocket of her cape to remove her unique specs. She put them on.
“She’s all yours, Carm,” Beth said, laughing as she left to retrieve her food order.
Carm hesitated, took a deep breath, and headed to the table. “Would you like a menu?” she asked, smiling.
“No,” she heard the woman say through the murmur of chatter. “I’d like green tea and rye toast, please.”
Carm left to serve orders, watching the strange woman remove a magazine from a paper bag and thumb between the pages. She returned to the table with her food and drink, and couldn’t help but stare. The woman’s skin, fair and withered, still looked pleasing to the eye. Her pointy nose, chin, dark make-up and magnified cat eyes gave her the appearance of an official witch. However, she didn’t reinforce the typical stereotype of an ugly, warty witch Carm had read about as a child. This woman’s appearance held a certain regalness; she in no way resembled an old hag.
“I’m glad to see you are not still playing the victim. You would have never lasted in this city,” the aged woman said, reaching for her tea and toast.
“The day you saw me I was scared. I didn’t know what to expect. As you can see now, all is well.”
The aged woman poured the tea into a cup. “My name is Gretchen,” she said.
Carm stood and stared at the unique woman, and, without thought, she blurted, “Are you a real witch?”
“Descended from wise women in Europe, skilled in the magical arts, witchcraft is my heritage,” she claimed.

Cate: Can you tell us why we're going to love your heroine?
Angie: Consumed with scandal, physically and emotionally drained Carm has heart and soul as she attempts to overcome the impossible.
The reader will share in her tears of distress and her tears of joy as they connect to her grit, suffering and honesty as she becomes her unique self while discovering her soul’s purpose.

Cate: Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Angie: On the Edge has substance and I hope to give a lot of healing to other people.

Cate: Love that. What's next for you?
Angie: Next I will be promoting the release of my ebook No Reins, a serious coming-of-age theme. Available online at http://Clublighthousepublishing.com
Currently I am working as a coauthor on a Pagan handbook with fellow author at Club Lighthouse Publishing T.L. Davidson which will go on sale late 2011.

Cate: What inspired you to draft your first story?
Angie: Tarot readings really do come true. A seer can tell what is to transpire in the future. Clairvoyant/Reader/Teacher of the Tarot and friend Joan Kennedy told me I needed to express myself through paper. She convinced me I should be a writer and write from personal experience.

Cate: Do you have a writing routine?
Angie: With a white candle’s wick burning bright, my cat Big Paws curled close by some days I write nonstop developing a story or article or critiquing work in progress, other times on publicity to build my platform.

Cate: Where can readers find you on the web?
Angie: You can reach me online directly via the comments section of my blog at http://Witchskel.com or http://Witchskel.blogspot.com Also you can visit me on Facebook and post on the wall. For a glimpse into my writing life at http://AngieSkelhorn.com

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Angie: Have you had a Reading performed that gave you inspiration, direction, and personal empowerment? Please share.
Thank you for taking time to read about me.
Merry Part, Til Merry We Meet Again!

Cate: Thanks for being my guest, Angie! Best of luck to you.