Monday, February 21, 2011

Dr. Laina Turner-Molaski in the Author Spotlight

Cate: Please welcome Dr. Laina Turner-Molaski, author of Chiczofrenia.
Laina: Ladies admit it. We are all fabulous. But like most things in life being fabulous does require work. If you want to really rock the fabulousness. This thought started when my daughter asked me what I had wanted to be when I grew up back when I was her age (little did she know I’m still not even close to grown up). There were many things I had dreams of being at her age but now when I think of the answer to that question my response it, “the best version of myself.” A while back when I realized that is truly what I wanted to be, “when I grew up” I felt that fabulous was a perfect term to put to that quest. But I want to clarify that I believe we all start out fabulous and just need to continually work on it in order to be the most fabulous I can be. Because while we do all start out with fabulousness it is definitely a skill to increase that level especially in the face of the difficulties life can bring.
 
Every day I ask myself what I can do today that will make me a better person. It might be something small like have more patience with my children or say no to those McDonalds fries because they won’t help me in my quest to stay healthy. It helps me when I know I am doing something for myself that it going to make me proud of who I am.

Be fabulous with me!
Laina


Blurb:
Chiczofrenic is the term for the woman who is purposeful and intentional in how crazy her life may be. The goal with this book is to recognize many women drive themselves crazy, intentionally, by trying to be all they can. I firmly believe we can have it all. A great relationship, being a great mom, keeping a good house (if that’s important to you), being a career woman, following your dreams, working out, eating right, and many more. Women seem to have the knack for how to manage it all and not go crazy. Women seem to always take on more and more…and are successful at it.

Women have tried forever to pretend they fit in the norm even when the norm wasn’t what they wanted. I want women to embrace that more - without caring what anyone thinks. Learn to laugh at your own craziness and be cool at the same time. Be the strong individual you want to be while looking like a million bucks.

Being a woman is difficult and is a constant evolution and journey of self discovery. It’s not always an easy journey and through the process you realize everyone has her own issues. Her own brand of crazy, which is my own kind of normal. Crazy but embracing it.


Excerpt:

We all know there’s crazy and there’s holy crap crazy. While we may all have our holy crap crazy moments, hopefully, most of us average out to moderately crazy. I like the phrase crazy is an art form because to me it’s about embracing individuality even if it’s outside the norm and others might think it’s nuts. Like everything else in life, you need to excel at your individuality. You need to feel confident. Look at women like Madonna and Cher. They’ve led colorful lives because they didn’t conform to “normal” by others’ definition. They embrace who they truly are, their “normal.” It has pissed people off or made others question their values or morality, but who cares? Cher and Madonna have the right to be how they want without others judging them. And so do we.