Sunday, May 22, 2011

More San Francisco Dreams for Six Sentence Sunday

Thanks so much to everyone who visits each week! Your comments always give me a boost, and I love reading the SSS entries. I try to visit as many as I can.

To celebrate the recent release of my historical set during the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, here are another six from San Francisco Dreams. To set the scene, Norah Hawkins has just joined a card game on board the train where Gerard "Mac" MacKenzie's playing. Before boarding the train, Mac had glimpsed Norah picking the old biddy's pockets, so he's rightfully wary of her, and yet also attracted to her:

Hell’s bells. There she sat, in all her pretended glory. Mac’s father had always told him he’d been born under a bad moon, and he’d have to steal a four-leaf clover to have any luck. This woman following him bore a worse ill omen than a banshee. A beautiful one, yes, with an entrancing smile, but he’d already glimpsed her true nature. 
Oh, he’d love to acquaint her with his rules of play. 

Mac bears a striking resemblance to Gerard Butler, doesn't he? ;)

36 comments:

Jessica Subject said...

Great internal thoughts! Gerard Butler is a hotty.

Arlene said...

Some fantastic word choices, Cate. In all her pretended glory, born under a bad moon, acquaint her with his rules, I love it and want to read on.

Heather Thurmeier said...

His rules of play sound like they might be worth learning!

Gem Sivad said...

Sounds like he's running from the inevitable. :)

Jenna Jaxon said...

And I can't wait to find out just what his rules of play are! Great six!

Sandra Sookoo said...

...his rule of play...awesome!

Lisa Fox said...

I would like to hear more about those rules of play!

Sarah Grimm said...

What are his rules? No really, what are they?

Marie Dees said...

Oh, great description there. Love his voice.

Jessica K said...

Ver good internal dialogue, tells us a lot about Gerard Butler --erm, the character. Great going on all the upcoing releases!

Liz said...

Whoo - hoo - Love that last line!

Also - a big fan of Gerard Butler

Annie Nicholas said...

Beautifully written six. It flowed so well.

Jenna McCormick said...

Oh, I'd love to hear more about his rules.

Jay Di Meo said...

Born under a bad moon - I like him already :-)

Ginger Simpson said...

The resemblance is amazing. :) Love your six, but then I love anything you write.

KarennaC said...

I want to read more!

Monica Enderle Pierce said...

Hells Bells! One of my favorite period comments. :) Love that she's doom on two legs, but he's not running away. Great six!

charmainegordon author said...

a rascal observing his own kind. good six, Cate.

Patricia Preston said...

Loved your six! And the photo puts everything in perspective. ;)

Hailey Edwards said...

Lovely phrasing here. Great six!

Cassandra Carr said...

Any hero that bears a resemblance to Gerard Butler is one I can get behind...or in front of...or on top of. Yay!

AllureVanSanz said...

A worse ill omen than a banshee...

Love it.
Well done.

Best,
Allure

Marion Sipe said...

Very intriguing! Well done!

Lindsay said...

Love how you, through him, show us what she's like. At least in his eyes.

Susanna Fraser said...

Great voice!

Camryn Rhys said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. And LOVE the mancandy. :)

J.A. Beard said...

I like both the direct characterization of Mac and the indirect of Norah.

diannehartsock said...

His rules? I think she might have some rules of her own! Nice.

Pippa Jay said...

Loved 'pretended glory.' :)

TKToppin said...

I loved this! Now I'm hooked

Jayel Kaye said...

I loved , "he’d have to steal a four-leaf clover to have any luck". very cute

Lucy Felthouse said...

Brilliant six, Cate! And nice photo, too ;)

Lori W. said...

Wait, there's words on the page? I was distracted by Gerard...*drools*

*cough* I mean, great six!

Geraaaard...

Liana Brooks said...

Sounds like a proper rogue. If she isn't interested, send him my way. I always love a Mac!

laynap said...

Great last line. Overall, an intriguing snippet!

Alanna Coca said...

Great six! Gerard makes me swoon.