Monday, August 8, 2011

Pardon my blog construction again

I hate to keep rearranging the old blog, but it just wasn't working for me. I had hoped, since giving up my web site, to turn my blog into a site that would work as hard.

To me, it didn't represent my work the way it should. Oh, it's pretty, and I love it, but Blogger's pretty limiting as far as where I can put things. I don't necessarily like the two columns on the outside, but I don't want to make people search for things either. If I could expand the center column, I'd do it, but the template I have doesn't allow that.

I'm attempting to streamline, while also making things more obvious and organized. Feng shui, baby. 

Do you like it better when authors put their covers on their main page, more readily accessible? Are you less likely to look at information if it's more than one click away?

And if any Blogger experts out there want to chime in, I'd love to hear some design tips!


Pippa Jay said...

Personally I'm quite happy for the covers to be put on a 'page' as long as I can see that listed at the top of the blog - like 'available works' or 'my books'. I don't mind clicking one or two links, but I don't want to be chasing links all over the blog. What I like to see on the main page is a way to follow the author and a list of topics for blog posts so I can see what kind of things they blog about. And I like to see an 'about me' page too. Anything else is just frosting on the cake. My blog is probably a little cluttered altho I have cleaned it up a bit in the last few months.

Angela Brown said...

I agree with Pippa Jay. I don't want to feel like I'm on a Safari hunt trying to chase information around. Though I like seeing book covers on the landing page, I don't mind one moe click to get to a page where you have your book covers organized and easily accessible.

Cate Masters said...

I sometimes poke around blogs that intrigue me, but I hate to make other people do it unnecessarily. I can't figure out how else to organize the Books section so it's simple and easy, so they're just on the front now. At some point it may not be practical any longer, but I'll worry about that then. :)

Maria Zannini said...

I like that your links are easy to see. I don't mind clicking as long as I can find them.

About the only thing I don't like to see on the landing page is all those blog awards and memes. It clutters it up too much.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Maria - good to know! I wish I could figure out a more logical arrangement, it still bothers me a bit, but for now it'll have to do.