Sunday, October 16, 2011

Damien bites the hand that gives him sanctuary

Thanks so much to all who visit! And thanks especially for your comments.

Here's another six from Death Is A Bitch, circulating on sub round #1. The daemon Damien was such a hoot to write, I'm considering giving him a spinoff story. In this scene, he's in Paris, tormenting a priest who's granted him sanctuary from the posse of angels hunting him:

Damien revealed his true self to the priest, who grew more horrified as the daemon’s skin charred, the stench of rotted flesh filling the small room. Damien’s nostrils flared above a malicious smile, eyes blazing like a fiery kaleidoscope.
The priest hastily made the sign of the cross, grabbed a wooden one from the wall and held it in front of him like a shield. “Back to Hell where you belong, unclean spirit.”
“You first.” Damien let his split tongue loll past his chin in his best Kiss impression.

Next week will be the last peek at Death, at least for awhile.
Be sure to check out the fantastic Six Sentence Sunday participants! And I have a new poll at top right - what's your greatest fear? 

Have a wonderful week!

31 comments:

Angela Guillaume said...

I could "see" your excerpt playing in my mind's eye like a movie. Sounds like my kind of movie, too! Loved it, Cate. Thanks for sharing!

Megan Johns said...

Very evocative, Cate

Lisa Fox said...

Damien sounds like a very fun character!

Sherry Gloag said...

Oh my like the others I 'saw' this clip, and love your final line, "Damien let his split tongue loll past his chin in his best Kiss impression."

Liz said...

Very descriptive - had me cringing!

Siobhan Muir / Meg Palevich said...

You had me at 'Best Kiss impression." Fun six! :)

gemma parkes said...

Scary and descriptive! Great six!

Sarah Grimm said...

Love it! I can see why you had such fun creating Damien.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Oh, great character, great description. "You first." Love that!

Joanne Stewart said...

Ditto--could see your excerpt very clearly in my mind. Excellent imagery as usual. :) LOVE the last line and the picture. When I was little, my aunt had a Kiss picture on her wall. Used to scare the crap out of me. So the reference to it made me laugh.

Eleri Stone said...

Awesome. Lovin' this story, can't wait to read the whole thing.

Ginger Simpson said...

I got a great mental image of the shuddering priest. Damien looks amazingly like Gene Simmons. *lol*As usual, you don't disappoint.

Carrie Ann Ryan said...

Oh, nice. I can see it.

Zee Monodee said...

Urgh, this thing is creepy! Totally rocked like a movie though, Cate - great job :)

Elyzabeth M. VaLey said...

LOl Damien does sound like a fun character!

Vivien Dean said...

Vivid and throat-grabbing. Great job!

Lindsay said...

Love the last line. Damien sure has fun here and I can see why you want to do a spin-off

Liz said...

scary! well done!

Cheryl M. said...

"KISS" impression xD

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Very scary. I voted in the pool. I hate spiders. They are so creepy.

Chrystalla Thoma said...

Ha! Love your demon! :) Kiss impersonation, lol! Great six!!!

melissamackinnon said...

I was so not expecting to see *that* this afternoon. It really set the scene for me. I cringed at the thought. lol Great six!

Angela Brown said...

Poor priest. "Damien...being a very bad boy only makes things worse." lol!!! The naughty never learn, I guess.

diannehartsock said...

I'm really loving this story. I can see Damien with his own story. I'm curious how he and 'Death' interract together, both strong characters. Can't wait to read more!

Gem Sivad said...

I could see it. Scary image. Great six!

Laura Kaye said...

Ooh, bad boy demon! Awesome!

Pippa Jay said...

Tsk, how ungrateful! :-P

Jenna said...

You should have saved this one for Halloween! Eeek! Don't want to meet him on a dark Parisian night. Great six!

Sorry I'm late to the party--I kept coming by and the comment link wouldn't load until now! Technology!:(

Sandra Sookoo said...

Now that is a creepy, vivid snippet :-) Nice job!

1000th.monkey said...

I agree with the other commenters, this was very visual, but still, ugh... the tongue thing creeps me out :)

so, is the priest going to try to stake him with that wooden cross?

J.A. Beard said...

This is both creepy and amusing at the same time.