Friday, December 16, 2011

An early Christmas present

Years ago, I read about mountain man Jim Bridger, who worked as a guide and scout, but basically lived free in the incredible pristine wilderness of the unsettled West. Though illiterate, he memorized many passages from Shakespeare's works, which he'd recite. This fascinated me, and I bought a few books about Jim. Once I realized how famous he already was, I knew I couldn't do him justice by writing about him anymore than he'd already been written about. But I loved the idea of a mountain man reciting Shakespeare.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorites, so I wove the title into A Midwest Summer Night's Dream. It's one of the many stories I had languishing on the hard drive for a few years, and decided to finally finish it this year. My wonderful critique partners helped make it into a story I was proud of.

I nearly self-published it, but it's very difficult to find an image to accurately depict the 1800s, let alone a Western historical romance with a Shakespearean twist. So I subbed the novella.

This week, I had an acceptance from Siren/Book Strand! I've been doing the happy dance since. It's scheduled for an April 2012 release. Woo hoo!

Here's the newly tweaked blurb:
Open sky, Shakespeare, solitude. All Jebediah Greene needs. Alone since his teens, he’s never known loneliness, until he leaves Winona Young in California. Worse, he fears she’ll trap herself in a loveless marriage of convenience. After acting as her guide to San Francisco, how far will Jeb go to win her heart?
Reading provides escape for Winona Young. Usually. Fleeing Philadelphia, she learns her distant suitor isn’t who he seemed. Neither is her mountain man guide, in a good way. Intelligent, but mule-headed, Jeb’s impossible to speak to, in any language. Winona falls in love with the stunning beauty of the wilderness, with the simple ways of the Osage people, and with Jeb. But books can’t teach her how to tame a mountain man.