Monday, February 20, 2012

We'll always have Paris

So what do you think? Does “We’ll always have Paris” make you sigh and swoon? Or does it make you say, “No, you idiot, don’t let her get on that plane!”

It certainly made me wonder. The ending to Casablanca is bittersweet. Would she have regretted staying, somewhere down the line? Guess we’ll never know, will we?

Casablanca’s a great film, yes, but it made me wonder why they chose that as the most romantic film of all time. The notion of “the one that got away”? Or because they’d fallen in love and shared some incredibly romantic moments?

What defines romance for you? Do you have to have a Happy Ever After? Or is Happy For Now enough? Do you view movies differently than books in that regard?


Maria Zannini said...

The ending to Casablanca is something the husband and I have always disagreed on.

I want a happily ever after in movies, but I'm okay with a happy for now in books.

Books allow me to make up my own mind of what happens next. Whereas movies are usually a one-time thing. They're too expensive to produce so they have to give us the whole package in one bite unless they have the dough to make sequels.

Marta Szemik said...

I need happy endings in most movies and all books. Some well done movies can get away with sadder endings, but to me, books should be happy, if not, at least satisfy the reader.

Cate Masters said...

Interesting. Thanks guys!
For me, it depends on the writer and the story. If it's a satisfying ending (and a logical conclusion to the story), I'm all right with it being a bit sad.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have to be in the mood for a bittersweet ending. Life isn't always a happy ending, but sometimes I'm just watching a movie to escape.

Angela Brown said...

I can adore the bittersweet that comes with love. Things don't always end with a "Happily every after". But if I remember correctly, he lets the girl go and walks off into the mist with a dude.

Hmmm...THAT is what makes me want to smack the guy on the back of his head when it comes to the way Casablanca ended.

Cate Masters said...

There are some types of movies I have to be in the mood for, and some I watch specifically to evoke those moods.
Hm, I didn't remember that, Angela. I'll have to watch it again! It's been a long time.