Friday, March 30, 2012

Sad Songs Blogfest

Thanks to L. Diane Wolfe for this blog fest! A topic near and dear to my heart - music of all types. Sad music can inspire me to add elements or another dimension to stories.

These are my top 10:

Beck - Lost Cause
Haven't we all had someone we just couldn't give up on? And it nearly killed us to finally let go?



Pearl Jam - Black
A wrenching song about loss. No, I didn't just post it because I could look at Eddie Vedder all day.



Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Another incredibly haunting song about lost love.

 
Joni Mitchell - River
This melancholy song can especially move me around the holidays.
 

The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
Maybe not sad so much as poignant, a final desperate throwing yourself at fate, but fearing what's ahead, and fearing tearing yourself away from what you leave behind.

 
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares to You
This stark video is all about bitterness and loss. It inspired part of my Christmas fantasy, Ground Rules.
 
 
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
The backstory of this song's enough to make me cry.
 

Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet
My favorite radio station, WXPN, played this last week and it's been in my head ever since.



Johnny Cash - Hurt
Powerful and poignant. Sad but moving in its hope and strength, too. My Dad was a huge Johnny Cash fan, but I never appreciated his genius until after my Dad died.



Roseanne Cash - Black Cadillac
This song came out soon after my Dad died, and because I always associate Johnny Cash with my Dad, this was especially meaningful for me.



Grab a new box of tissues and go visit some more blogs participating in the Sad Songs blog fest.