Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Insecure Writers: How can I shed the cloak of invisibility?


From what I’ve read about the “new world” of publishing, visibility seems to be one of the most important factors in sales. I don’t mean this as a rant against Amazon, but they certainly aren’t making things any easier for small-pubbed and indie authors.

Here’s a great post by Russell Blake, who understands Amazon’s new system of weighting better than I ever will.

In essence, they’re skewing the visibility factor toward bigger publishers who price their books higher. That way, Amazon will see greater profits because they’ll rake in greater percentages from those bigger pubs.

Did someone toll the death bell for big publishers? Seems to have been premature. They’re adapting to the new market, with the assistance of distributors like Amazon.

It’s discouraging. Just when I thought the playing fields were leveling out, they’ve padded the other half, the one with the goal. Like Russell Blake, I’ve jumped on the KDP Select bandwagon, held free days and rode the crazy roller coaster of seeing thousands of downloads. The after-bump sales held for awhile, which was also fantastic. But if Amazon has weighted their system against indie pubs, what’s the use?

I’d love to get this @&!! cloak of invisibility off my books. And then a little alchemy to get them to spontaneously combust and light sales on fire would be great, ha.

Any industry news you can share that’s in a similar vein? I try to keep up but Blake’s article surprised me.

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for launching the Insecure Writers group!

15 comments:

LD Masterson said...

Interesting. The blog I visited just before this one - also doing the Insecure Writers blogfest - also talked about invisibility. Only she was talking aboout her visibility as an author sending out queries and you're concerned about the visibility of your published books. I guess some concerns never go away.

Cate Masters said...

I'm sure it's a universal worry for writers! Unfortunately.

Summer Ross said...

Keep your head up and see where the course takes you. I don't have any industry news or the like for you- but I can say Believe in yourself and your writing. You are further than me. Which means you got there somehow.

KarenG said...

Wouldn't it be great to have an inside connection on Amazon to just give one's books a little boost of visibility now and again?

KarenG said...

Wouldn't it be great to have an inside connection on Amazon to just give one's books a little boost of visibility now and again?

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Summer!

I'd love that, too, Karen. :)

Ciara said...

Marketing is the most difficult part of the publishing. I think big 6 got a little away from this for awhile, but now, they have to focus on this with the competition of SP.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a bummer! Knowing that, I'm stunned my books are doing well on Amazon UK. We just have to keep trying I guess.

M Pax said...

We just have to keep at it. It's discouraging, but we can make our own waves. I think Alex proves that and I've seen others prove it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I feel invisible too and I wish I could shed it.

Susan Roebuck said...

I wonder what the magic to uncovering invisibility is? (besides the cloak of course). There are a lot of blog posts on promotion this month (on the IWSG), so it's a universal problem. I think those who make it are just really really good at promotion :-(

Cate Masters said...

Thanks guys. Marketing's difficult enough, and it was great when the playing field seemed to be leveling off. I hate to think it's tilting back toward the big 6.

Fairday Morrow said...

Interesting post! I do not have any industry news- but you are doing a great job of getting your books out there! I loved your references to magic. Invisibility cloaks can be used for so much- let's take it off books. :)

~Jess

Michael Pierce said...

That was an interesting article, and conveniently timed since I'm doing my Amazon giveaway right now. I guess I'll just have to work a little harder.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Jess! It might take a little magic for my books to become visible, ha.

I'm about to do another free offer with my mainstream/literary novel, so it'll be interesting to see, too, though will the genre difference affect it? It's anyone's guess!