Monday, August 27, 2012

Infringement avoidance

Trolling the Internet for images has become a bit like fishing in shark-infested waters these days. I've always tried to be very careful about what images I use but the recent post by author Roni Loren who was sued for posting images on her blog made me more wary. You can read her cautionary tale here.

I believed the images I found for my book videos were legal, but because I'm not certain, I've deleted all but two from YouTube. As much as I loved the book videos and took such pains in making them, I don't have the resources to fight a legal battle. And I would never consciously share another artist's copyrighted work. So I'm slowly rebuilding them, after searching for copyright-free images, or using my own plus the cover images, as in this new video for Death Is A Bitch:



That was a stunning sunset over the orchards behind my house. It captured the mixture of awe and warning I needed.

My one conundrum is my blog series Casting Call, in which I post photos of the actors I virtually cast in my stories as I write. I'll have to figure out a workaround for that. Just listing their names would be boring, and often I'll find a pic that really embodies the character.

I've been going through old posts and removing graphics, but with more than one thousand posts, it's an ongoing process. Unfortunately, from now on the blog will be less decorative and appear more utilitarian. Guess I'll have to start taking a lot more photos and posting those instead, like this one -- one of my garden peppers that, when I sliced it open, revealed this happy face. A sign from the universe that everything will be all right!

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Smart to clean up the videos - and your sunset is awesome. I don't think posting celebrity photos is as big a danger, but I have removed most of the artwork from earlier posts.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Alex. I'm glad I came across that post. I wouldn't wish that on any author. Just because you *think* an image is royalty-free doesn't make it so. :)

Marta Szemik said...

I'm so glad I read your post Cate. Guess I have to check the pictures on my blog, but better be safe than sorry.

Cate Masters said...

It's definitely something to be wary of, Marta!

Ciara said...

I love the sunset. Yep, it is an entirely new game when that post hit the blogs.

Cate Masters said...

I am a little late in sharing that Ciara, but better late than never. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not going back and change things, but I am being more careful. I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyrights but sometimes it's not obvious if things are royalty free or not. Beautiful sunset.

DMS said...

I agree with you- it takes more time to do my graphics after reading the post that Roni shared about her experience. But, since I cannot afford to pay legal fees- Stephanie and I have taken to snapping photos (thank goodness for digit photos) and drawing images, too.

I love the book trailer- the sunset is perfect and beautiful. Good luck!

~Jess

Gina Gao said...

This is a really great post, I'm so glad that I stopped by to read it.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

LD Masterson said...

Roni's experience scared me, too. I haven't gone back through all my old posts yet but I'm being a lot more careful about what I'm putting out there now, especially since I get so many images via forwarded e-mail and I don't know the original source. One upside, I may start doing more photography, something I used to love but let fall by the wayside. And I love your sunset.

Arlene said...

Only you can find a smile face in a pepper. Cudos for bringing copy right awareness for internet pictures to the attention of others yet again. And despite all your hard work of redoing trailers, your personal pictures are so cool. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Lorrie Struiff said...

Great post, Cate, and scary. As most know I use many pictures to jazz up my posts.

I don't have a digital camera, and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to post them on the computer. Yep, still in the Dark Ages here.

Question. How can you tell if they are really 'free' as stated on the sites?