Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The lesson of the boot print

One morning this winter, I came in the house after some mundane chore and bent to remove my boots. Afterward, this was what was left on the floor.

An antlered deer! Or maybe a chupacabra? With a saddle? (Don't ask me what that ball-shaped thing is behind him, lol)

In any event, I thought it looked pretty cool. So I grabbed my camera because I knew it wouldn't last long.

Sometimes like story ideas. They flash through my head. Sometimes, I'll write them down while they're fresh and capture them. Other times (if I'm somewhere I can't jot notes), I'll keep repeating it in my head in hopes I don't lose it.

Sometimes, though, like the deer/chupacabra, it melts away. *poof* Gone, and once that happens, it can be gone for good.

Another lesson to apply to writing - get it down while it's fresh, and the image is clear.

A deeper lesson is to stop and look in the first place. There's so much we miss on a daily basis because we rush, rush, rush. It's worthwhile to stand still and look around. Take in all those details that might otherwise be a blur, or fade before we can admire them.



6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I was wondering what that was.

I'm awful about being aware of my surroundings especially when my mind is elsewhere. I've encountered more than my fair share of snakes this way.

Oy.

Cate Masters said...

lol, awareness is handy for real-life applications too. Lucky for me, Lily notices snakes right away and lets everyone know with her bark-circle-dance

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's true - we tend to rush through life and not notice those things. Good eye.

DMS said...

I love this post! I think we all need to stop and look around us more often. We will be amazed at what we see and notice. I love when I see pictures in places I least expect them. Glad you grabbed your camera! I try to jot down ideas when I have them, but at times I can't write them down and the idea is gone.

Have a slow down day. :)
~Jess

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Alex and Jess. I'm lucky that my life has slowed down from being overly manic lately. :)

LD Masterson said...

Cate, did you possibly post this picture on another blog. I'm certain I've seen it before, recently, but I remember commenting on it and it wasn't here. Am I losing my marbles?