Friday, April 25, 2014

Epic fail

I have to chalk most of this year up to one big fat failure. I haven't been writing, and it's making me miserable. Not at all what I envisioned on January 1.

Until this month, one sickness or another has hit our household. Thank goodness spring is finally here - somewhat. But that story I swore I'd finish in February? Still waiting for me to work on it. Some new ideas have come to me, but I haven't developed them yet.

Not that I've been idle. My editor has kept me plenty busy with edits for Goddess, Awakened. More intense revisions that resulted in more sections cut and rearranged, and more added. A much different - and improved - version of the original. I'm so looking forward to its release on July 7.

Meanwhile, one of my goals was to have a working draft of another Goddess Connection for the workshop in May. Didn't happen. I do have 27k, and a very rough outline, but I'm shooting for at least 60k.

None of it will happen this weekend either. I'm off to my nephew's wedding in northern NJ, with a reception to follow in New York. I'm so happy for them, and happy to be able to share their special day. I'll have some extra baggage though - a half dozen characters and an unfinished plot.

Do you find it agonizing not to be able to squeeze in writing time?

7 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Fail? Hardly.

You know the saying: Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.

I'm glad you're over the winter plagues though. They really pummeled you guys this year.

Have fun at the wedding!

Cate Masters said...

Aw thanks, Maria. But I wouldn't even have 27k if I hadn't written it last year. Very frustrating! The first year I actually set goals, I'm doomed.
I'm definitely looking forward to getting away this weekend and celebrating with family. Hope you have a great weekend too!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your blog surprised me. You seem to have so much going on. But I understand. If I'm not working on something new I feel like I'm not getting anything done.

Cate Masters said...

lol I know you think I'm constantly cranking out stories, Susan, but it's just not been happening this year. The 27k I have for my next Goddess Connection I actually wrote almost two years ago now. I have been busy, but with stories written awhile back. I guess it always happens in cycles, right?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

With the A to Z Challenge, I knew I wouldn't have time to write this month. I'd hoped to finish the first draft before April 1, but that didn't happen.
Hope after the weekend, you can get back to it!

LD Masterson said...

There always seems to be more time when I'm planning my writing goals...I'm not sure where it goes. Maybe my writing time and yours are hanging out somewhere together laughing at us.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Cate Masters said...

Thanks Alex. Hope you get some writing done soon.
So true Linda! lol