Thursday, May 8, 2014

Falling in love... with characters

Despite the fact that I'm sick yet again (!!!) with a cold, I've been writing. I haven't been concentrating on word count so much as getting the words right, and building backstory. Fleshing out the characters and yes, falling in love with them.

While I only added a few thousand words to the next Goddess Connection novel, I'm in the first stage of love with the characters. That blissful stage, before I get to know them too well. All their frailties, faults and quirks. And before they do something to piss me off, lol. So far, they have surprised me in the best way. I love when characters do that.

I've also been mapping out the story a bit in advance, laying the framework to give me somewhat of a structure but not so much I become claustrophobic. The exercise also helps me get to know the characters and how they'll react in various situations, sometimes not the most pleasant circumstances. Because that's how they reveal their true character - under pressure.

Like real people, right? To me, they're a little too real sometimes, lol.

Happy Dance Time!

Today I signed a new contract with Kensington for my paranormal/fantasy novella based on Grimm's fairy tale, The Griffin. Not one of the best-known fairy tales, and my story's a loose interpretation with a contemporary rock and roll setting. Here's the unofficial blurb:



His Harley. The girl he loved. His guitar. Jackson Grant thought he had it all. Until one tragic accident stole it all away. Afterward, more than scars mar him. A curse prevents him from loving again, so he makes sure never to get close to anyone. Until a new roadie gig with Malcontent, the most popular band in the world, entwines his fate with Layla’s. Her sweetness reaches deep inside to heal his wounded heart, but loving her would mean a death sentence for her.

Music’s what Layla lives for. She has no choice. She’s bound by magic to the band Malcontent, cursed to propel them to stardom with her musical powers. With no way out, she’s about to give up. Then Jackson Grant appears and gives her hope that he’s the one she’s been waiting for, a hero who’ll finally free her. A reluctant hero, at best, but one she can’t resist.

Their only chance is to break free of their invisible prisons. Can Jackson undo Layla’s magical tie to Malcontent without causing her greater hurt than heartbreak? Can Layla claim what’s rightfully hers and convince Jackson they have a shot at happiness?

Happy Thursday! Dance along with me, won't you?