Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Schrödinger’s Book


The Big Bang Theory may be just a comedy show, but it’s better television than most, for me at least. Anything that helps me think in a new perspective has value.

If you’re a fan, you know the running joke about Schrödinger’s Cat. If not, you can read about the premise here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/google-doodle/10237347/Schrodingers-Cat-explained.html 

I find myself in that strange position now, with Goddess, Awakened about to release in one month (and four days). My book is, at this moment, Schrödinger’s Book. It is both perfect and imperfect, a bestseller and a bomb. And yes, both loved and hated. By me. (Just a little bit.)

After spending literally years writing this novel, and investing immense amounts of energy and emotion on it, it’s in a lovely state of inertia right now, a limbo where anything is possible.

And all that’s going to change.
So it also becomes both exciting and invokes completely nauseating anxiety. I want everyone to love it too.

Not gonna happen. Not because it’s not a great book (it is), but because you can’t possibly please every single reader. I’m hoping to please a majority, though, and I like to imagine my book - like the cat in the photo - discovering new, unexpected abilities too.

There's time enough for that later. Right now, I'm going to float in this perfect, empty space of possibility.

Have a fantastic Tuesday!