Friday, December 18, 2009

Answers to Christmas song quiz

Congrats to Maria Durst! She submitted the correct answers, and got every one right! I admit I scored pitifully low on this song quiz. I think I only had the Kinks, the Pogues and the Waitresses right, though I love Elvis Costello and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Some, I admit, can hardly be qualified as 'artists' but it's all for fun!
How about you? How many did you get right?

1) The Everly Brothers: c) Christmas Can Kill You
2) Brenda Lee: f) I'm Gonna Lasso Santa Claus
3) Root Boy Slim: j) Xmas at KMart
4) Mighty Mighty Bosstones: i) Xmas Time (It Sure Doesn't Feel Like It)
5) Sherwin Linton: a) Santa Got a DWI
6) Stan Freberg: b) Green Christmas
7) Cheech and Chong: e) Santa Claus and His Old Lady
8) Wild Man Fincher: u) I'm a Christmas Tree
9) Weird Al Yankovic: l) Christmas at Ground Zero
10) Stan Freberg and Daws Butler: d) Christmas Dragnet
11) Elvis Costello: g) St. Stephen's Day Murders
12) Loretta Young: p) To Heck with Ole Santa Claus
13) Commander Cody: k) Daddy's Drinking Up our Christmas
14) Johnny Horton: s) They Shined Up Rudolph's Nose
15) Martin Mull: x) Santafly
16) Father Guido Sarducci: o) I Won't Be Twisting This Christmas
17) Sonny Cole: n) Santa to the Moon
18) Staple Singers: h) Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas?
19) Doug Legacy and the Legends of the West: v) Christmas in Prison
20) Marc Anthony: q) Mama's Twistin' with Santa
21) Butterbeans and Susie: w) Papa Ain't No Santa Claus (And Mama Ain't No Christmas Tree)
22) The Waitresses: y) Christmas Wrapping
23) The Kinks: m) Father Christmas
24) The Pogues: r) Fairytale of New York
25) Jim Croce: t) It Doesn't Have to Be That Way

And now, to get the Waitresses out of my head, here are a few more Christmas clips. I managed to buy an underground copy of this Beatles Christmas album when I was a teenager.



And I love this Rob Thomas Christmas song.



This one I'm throwing in for the sheer bizarre factor, though it's laudable Bob's donating the proceeds to charity from this CD. I just never imagined him doing a Christmas polka! I'd have loved to have been an extra in this video. It looks like a blast. (Is that his son Jakob running away?)