Sunday, December 12, 2010

In the Author Spotlight: Sara Thacker

Cate: Please welcome Sara Thacker. Sara, will you please share a short bio with us?
Sara: In my writing life I have multiple personalities. I’m Sara York and Sara Thacker. As Sara Thacker I write paranormal and suspense. As Sara York I write erotic romance.

Cate: Tell us about your latest releases and where they’re available.
Sara: My latest Sara Thacker book just came out. You can pick it up at New Concepts Publishing. This is my latest in my Protectors series. Vampiric Assignations is the story of Amber Black, a smart young scientist who is turned into a vampire for her mind. Maverick, a by the book protector, is assigned to bring her in or kill her. The only problem is he falls in love and abandons the rules.

As Sara York my latest is Speedtracer available at Torrid. Speedtracer is a tale about an assassin, Olivia, who is being hunted down. Keenan catches up to her and gets the jump on her. While transporting her back to civilization they crash land on an uninhabited planet. Alone, they develop an attraction as they are forced to overcome the elements and make a life together.

Cate: Wow, you’re busy! Congrats on both. Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Sara: This is from Speedtracer
The landing alarm beeped, cutting off whatever Keenan was going to say. Any second they’d hit the ground. The decent parachute had deployed earlier. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. She could feel every muscle in his chest, every bulge of his arms. A shiver of lust from her overactive libido couldn’t be squelched.
“I won’t let you die. I need to prove that I had a hand in your demise.”
“Revenge is never the answer,” she said tartly.
“In this case, it is. Now hold on tight. We’re going for a ride.”
Olivia’s head bounced against the seat before Keenan grabbed her, plastering her face against his chest. He held tight, grunting each time the craft bumped along the ground. The ship rocked and bucked as it slid over the rough terrain. Never before had she been in such a rough landing. Of course, she’d never landed in an escape hatch while being pressed against her captor’s body.
“It’s almost done,” Keenan said as they rolled again.
Olivia’s knee slammed into a metal plate. “Good, this is very uncomfortable.”
“I could let go of your head.” His grip loosened.
“Not that, I keep banging my legs against the control panel.”
“Almost finished.” The soothing quality of his voice struck her as odd. He was trying to make her feel better. His hand moved to stroke her hair as his other hand pulled her tighter.
The escape pod stopped moving. Olivia breathed a sigh of relief then turned to look at her captor. Damn her body for wanting him. Feelings of pity started to take root in her stomach, then she remembered all he’d done—well not him, but his people.
She shook off the feeling and pushed away from his hold. The magic of the moment passed and whatever trance Keenan had fallen into lay dormant. Fire and anger returned to his eyes. He reached for the hatch handle on the escape pod and pushed it open.
Cool air rushed in, bringing focus and clarity. Keenan let go of her arms then pushed her forward. The hatch opening was small and tilting the wrong way for an easy exit. She crawled up, sitting on the edge of the opening before swinging her legs over and hopping to the ground.
The incongruity of the land left her wondering if she was seeing everything right. Bright flowers dotted the landscape and huge green trees draped with thick vines covered the area, but the temperature was much cooler than jungle plants could survive at.
The ride in the escape pod had left her feeling used and abused. She bent at the waist checking her ribs for possible fractures. An animal shrieked beyond the curtain of green surrounding them, its call dimmed by distance. Her senses went on high alert. This planet was different, strange, fascinating. The hair on the back of her neck rose. Someone or something was watching them.
Keenan plopped down on the ground beside her.
“We have a tent pack, one bedroll—” He cocked one eyebrow, studying her.
“Something wrong?”
“We’re being watched.”
Keenan looked out into the dense foliage as he moved around the escape pod.
“I’m not seeing or hearing anything.”
“Probably just an animal.” Another shriek cut through the forest. “Interesting sound.”
“Yeah, like I was saying, we have a tent pack, one bedroll, and a weeks worth of food.”
“Interesting, you’re willingness to share food with me.”
“We have one week to find civilization, after that, I’ll buy another cryo chamber and freeze you.”
Olivia snorted. “Glad to see you’re sentimental.”

Cate: Wonderful. Can you tell us why we're going to love your hero?
Sara: Keenan is tough but caring. He wants something more from his life but doesn’t know what. No one has cared for him and now he’s found someone who does. He changes from a cool customer to a caring lover as he learns to survive alongside Olivia.

Cate: I love flawed characters who find redemption (sigh). Tease us with one little thing about your fictional world that makes it different from others.
Sara: The Speedtracer world is a world where governments have raped the land, ruining entire planets and Keenan and Olivia find a planet that is beautiful. The planet is representative of a beautiful relationship that is nurtured.

Cate: What's next for you?
Sara: I’m writing a love story that's erotic. There’s no scifi in it, just straight love. As Sara Thacker, I’m working on a thriller. I’ll also do another installment in my Princess series that is offered through The Wilder Rose Press.

Cate: What inspired you to draft your first story?
Sara: I’ve wanted to be a writer for years and then my sister was going to quit her job and sail around the Bahamas for a year. In her goodbye letter she said she was going to write a book. I couldn’t let her beat me to finishing a novel. I went to work, pounding out a dreadful tale. I’m glad I started on that first novel because it gave me the courage to write another and another.

Cate: Do you have a writing routine?
Sara: No. I used to have one but a lot has changed in my personal life and with those changes my writing habits needed to change. Eventually I’ll get back to having a routine, hopefully.

Cate: Where can you be found on the web?
Sara: At http://sarathacker.com or http://sarayork.com

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Sara: What is your favorite month of the year. In the Speedtracer world, the planet is wild with luscious plants and foliage. It snows there, but only in the highest mountains. Could you live in a world like that or would the balmy warm weather drive you crazy?

Cate: Readers, Sara York is giving away an ebook copy of Speedtracer to a random commenter... so start commenting and be sure to leave your email address. She'll pick a winner and post the winner’s name here. Good luck!
And thanks for being my guest Sara! Best of luck in all your guises.