Thursday, March 3, 2011

March is Women's History Month

The stories of women fascinate me. Whether historical or contemporary, if the story contains some message of hope or embodies a universal struggle, it's got me hooked.


It's important to honor those who've made inroads for women. While I celebrate the stories of important historical women such as Amelia Earhart, too often their stories overshadow those who perhaps never saw the limelight, but were every bit as important.


For that reason, I love finding books such as Lynn Santa Lucia's Ladies First, which celebrates "History's greatest female trailblazers, winners and mavericks." It features well-known women such as Amelia, Indira Gandhi and Marie Curie, but also lesser knowns such as Hildegard of Bingen and Wu Zetian. I highly recommend you pick up a copy.

Another longtime favorite is Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey by Lillian Schlissel. It features no famous females, but their stories are extraordinary.

As National Women's History Month reminds us, "Our History is Our Strength." Read more here. Or here.

I don't know about you, but it inspires me to write. :)