Thursday, July 22, 2010

Author Chat with Sherry Gloag


Hi Sherry! So glad to have you at Author Chat, where we can learn a little bit about you, and your book.
Grab a cappuccino and let’s chat. Unless you have another favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?
Thank you, I’m what is known in some areas of the UK as a ‘tea-face’, so give me a moment while I just make a fresh brew.

A woman after my own heart. :) Fur or feathers, petwise?
Both!
Just a couple of days ago I came across a grounded Swift.  The birds’ wings are so long they cannot take off when grounded.  We had to climb on top of a garden shed and hurl it into the sky to ensure it flew away successfully!  I blogged about it on my blog, The Heart ofRomance.  

Poor thing! Good thing you were there to help. :) Any pet peeves? One thing that really burns your biscuits?
Drivers that pull out in front of you then stop and turn of a few yards up the road.

Favorite quote?
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. ~ Robert Gallagher

Ha! Love it. What’s your ideal day like?
One that goes to plan? ROFL!  Seriously I am so B A D at time management, regardless of how hard I try to get it in hand, but when I plan a day of relaxation, it is having a good book to read, somewhere comfortable where I won’t be interrupted and a warm, not too hot, sunny day.

Ah, lovely. Beethoven, Beatles, Foo Fighters or Keith Urban?
Beethoven and the Beatles

Do you have a music playlist for your book?
Not usually, as I prefer silence –or near silence- when writing

I'm the same way. Which of your characters would you most/least to invite to dinner, and why?
I would least like to invite Sophie, from my debut novel, The Brat, published by The Wild Rose Press, because she is such a self-focused bitch and will do anything to ensure her status and position.
Trudi Delaney and Rafe Hawk, the heroine and hero of my current novel, Duty Calls, published by Black Opal Books in also available  ‘e’ and print versions are a couple I’d like to have dinner with because both (like Gina in The Brat) overcame their past traumas to carve a rich and happy future for themselves.

Sounds like a great party! While creating your books, what was one of the most surprising things you learned?
How the characters developed beneath my fingertips.  I don’t know how many other writers share this, but sometimes I look back and wonder how they developed the way they did, because they experience and act in ways I’d never imagine.

Where can readers find out more about you?

Please share a book blurb and/or excerpt (suitable for general audiences, please). [Don’t forget to include a buy link! And a web-friendly, low-res cover image.]
To Buy – Duty Calls: Amazon.com = http://tinyurl.com/6el9qef 
And Black Opal Books  (site down for maintenance)

To Buy – The Brat: Amazon.com = http://tinyurl.com/6keoxqf
The Wild Rose Press = http://tinyurl.com/6zskq43

* * *

Duty Calls
BLURB
She’d saved his life…
Rafe Hawk refuses to accept the inheritance, of a large English estate, and the title that goes with it, after his birth father’s death because the man chose duty over the woman he loved and their son.
So when he finds himself temporarily living at Kinsale Hall, he’s not prepared to trust anyone associated with the place, including Trudi Delaney and her daughter.
So why, when he looks into their eyes, does he suddenly remember a woman who may have lost her life after a storm while saving his over a decade ago?  

Now he could destroy hers.
Instinct warns Trudi Delaney the arrival of the contemptuous American architect at Kinsale Hall will change her life forever. Especially when she discovers he spends so much of his time in areas of Kinsale Hall off-limits to visitors.
Eleven years after escaping from her psychotic husband with a stranger, she’s still plagued by nightmares of events she can’t remember. Events such as, who fathered her beautiful daughter?
Now more than a decade later, she is confronted by another stranger. Will this one destroy everything she holds dear?

EXCERPT
“Stop the car!” Rafe Hawk swung round to face the driver. “I recognise this road. You never said the commission to build those retirement units was at Kinsale Hall. You know damn well I swore never set foot in the place again, eleven years ago.”

Rage hazed his vision. “You knew I’d refuse the commission if you’d revealed the location, and because you withheld that vital information, Arthur, this contract is null and void.” He shot forward in his seat when Arthur tramped on the brakes.
His friend from their Uni days skewed round in his seat. “How long have we known each other?”
Startled by Arthur Clifton’s question, Rafe hesitated. “What’s the length of our friendship got to do with anything? Other than the fact you’re stretching it very thin, if you think I’ll set foot on Kinsale territory again.” He swung open the car door and leaped out, his fingers tunnelling through his windswept hair.
Brilliant blue skies overhead offered a large playground for the early summer sunshine, and the fluffy white clouds sailing by. He saw the high chimney-tops through the trees.
“Do you really think I’d bring you here without a very good reason?” Arthur remained in his seat, his hands on the steering wheel, watching Rafe pace up and down the soft verge beside the open-topped car.
"I can't think of a single reason good enough that justifies you resurrecting events that nearly cost me my life, and possibly cost the life on an unknown woman."

Wonderful! Thanks so much for chatting Sherry!
Thanks for inviting me over today.  It’s a pleasure to be here :-)