Sunday, April 18, 2010

In the Author Spotlight: Margaret West

Cate: I’m happy to welcome Margaret West to the Author Spotlight. Please share a short bio with us?
Margaret: Born in Croydon Surrey (UK) Margaret has always found writing to be a creative as well as a cathartic process, especially during difficult periods in her life. She found her true writing voice after becoming a spiritualist. Her love for literature extends from writing to reading and is always willing to embrace new ideas and philosophies. She likes nothing more then to sit with a good book in the quiet realms of the countryside, with her dogs, Milo and Chester. A true animal lover, Margaret’s warmth and sensitivity is reflected in her writing.

Cate: Tell us about your latest release, The Heart of a Warrior, and where it's available.
Margaret: The Heart of A Warrior is my favorite out of all the novels I’ve written. I try and put a message of hope in all my books and I think I have managed it in this bittersweet romance. Religion is a tricky subject. Wars have been and still are fought on the grounds of religious beliefs.
The Heart of a Warrior is not just any romance story. It is a battle fought on every page. It is the story of two people, of opposite cultural beliefs, who come together in an explosion of emotions. Yuma is a Native American chief. Belinda is a nurse from the UK. They fall in love but tradition dictates they can never be together because Yuma has to pick a wife of his tribe and culture so their child can carry on his title. The barriers against them are huge, but not insurmountable. But can some sacrifices be just too much to bear. I’ll let you decided when you read The Heart of a Warrior.

Cate: Please tantalize us with a story blurb or excerpt.
Margaret:
Yuma’s kiss caught Belinda by total surprise. One minute she felt like hell, the next minute she was floating in a sea of wondrous emotions. His lips were soft, yet demanding, as they pressed against hers. She could feel the muscles in his arms as they snaked around her and pulled her closer into his chest. Belinda’s lips pulsed with the warm flow of sensuous blood. When his tongue swept into her mouth and danced with hers, she gave a small moan of ecstasy and pressed closer to him.
His answering moan excited her and a warm flush worked its way up her body. She could smell the sweet scent of coconuts, with an under lying odor of raw masculinity. Yuma’s scent. It fired her blood further, until she was consumed with a burning need that only he could assuage.

Cate: What inspired you to write about the theme?
Margaret: I’ve always had a deep interest in the native American culture. In my healing room I have various Navajo shields and bows. I originally set out to write a book about their spiritual side and how gently they have tried to live their lives. But half way through it changed and I’m glad it did. The heart of a Warrior will always be close to my heart.

Cate: How do you develop your plots and characters?
Margaret: I always write down what I feel they will look like before I start, their personality, what they like and hate. Sometimes that’s changes as their characters grow, but I like to get some sort of foundation set. The plot to THW developed on its own really, gathering momentum as I wrote. But usually I write down ideas of how I want plots and sub plots to go before I write the book.

Cate: Do you feel as if the characters live with you as you write? Do they haunt your dreams?
Margaret: Yes, they do. I go to bed thinking what my characters would do in different circumstances, I wake up thinking what they will do today…until the book is written, the characters will become part of my life and my thoughts continuously.

Cate: What's next for you?
Margaret: I’ve already subbed a mss for a darker paranormal romance. I might have to give the submission dept a little poke soon to see if they remember me lol but at the moment I am writing a Spiritual handbook that incorporates all aspects of spirit work. I’m a Clairknowing medium and lightworker. I teach various forms of spirit work, so I thought it would be great to write a handbook that everyone could understand and relate to.

Cate: Any other published works?
Margaret: Yes, I’ve written a few paranormal romance novels, short stories and a non fiction book. Some of which can be found on my website www.margaret-west.com

Cate: Describe your writing in three words.
Margaret: inspiring,romantic, funny.

Cate: What’s the most challenging aspect of writing? Most rewarding?
Margaret: The most challenging is actually finding the time to write. I live such a hectic life and to write I need peace, quiet and clear thought. I’d say, for me, the rewarding site is walking past waterstones/ Otakars book store and seeing my book on their shelves…it’s enough to make you want to run up and down the road screaming…yes, yes , yes….lol

Cate: What’s the most interesting comment you have received about your books?
Margaret: A reviewer said about one of my books, and I quote,
Ms. West wrote with such emotion I felt as if I was looking at the world through her Characters eyes. Each one was carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, but both handled their feelings and emotions quite differently. This story made me walk away analyzing things differently in my own life and all the people that are near and dear to me.
She ‘got’ the message I was trying to get across in the book. It doesn’t matter how bad life treats you, there is always someone out there worse off than you.

Cate: Lovely. Where can you be found on the web?
Margaret: Yes. You can find me at www.margaret-west.com
Facebook
Twitter
http://magsx.blogspot.com/
http://Margaret-paranormalromanceauthor.blogspot.com/

Cate: Is there anything you’d like to ask our readers?
Margaret: What do you look for in a romance novel? Do you always and hearts and flowers or more real life, where love is complicated and doesn’t always work out the way you’d like?

Cate: Readers, Margaret is giving away an ebook copy of The Heart of a Warrior to a random commenter... so start commenting! Be sure to leave your email address so Margaret knows how to reach you. She'll notify the winner.